General Care Discussion :: Traveling with my red ear slider!!!!

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:03 pm   Traveling with my red ear slider!!!!

Hey guys, I am very new to the turtle world and have only had mine for approximately two months. She's twelve years old and has been nothing but an angel since I got her. Unfortunately I am away from home for school and will be returning to my parents house in a little over a month. The problem that I am having is that my turtle will obviously be coming home with my but I am unsure how to travel with her safely and comfortably. For our travel we will be driving for ten hours before getting on a boat for another eight hours. If anyone has any recommendations of how to do this safely please let me know!!!!!
Mabel20

Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:19 pm   Re: Traveling with my red ear slider!!!!

Will you be passing any customs? Will there be a break between the drive and boat ride? Is this during the day or night? What will the temperatures be?

Most likely, a large plastic storage container will be your starting point. The rest depends on some of the above questions.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:34 pm   Re: Traveling with my red ear slider!!!!

I will not be passing through customs, just going from province to province. There will most likely not be a break between drive and boat ride unfortunately. The drive will be during the day and the boat ride will take place over night, all together it is going to be about a full day's trip. I've contacted the boat agency and they are going to keep her in an employe's room which will be heated but most likely only to about 20 degrees. As far as the car ride goes I will make sure that the car is kept warm enough that she will be comfortable where she is. I can definitely get a large plastic container to store her in for the drive if that is what you mean but as far as the boat could I still keep her in that? I am taking her to the vet this week and I'm going to get some opinions from them as well but I would like some opinions from more experienced people as the vet hasn't dealt with many turtles.
Mabel20

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:28 am   Re: Traveling with my red ear slider!!!!

Just be extra careful as I do recall some pet turtles have been confiscated. 18 hours is not a big deal for an adult RES to be kept out of water. 20C is fine too. My concern is if she would settle down during this time, as RES do not like to out of their tank and in containers. Do not put water in the container and line it with towels. She will try to climb out of it, so she might get rashes from rubbing against the plastic. Will you be able to check on her while on the boat?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:49 pm   Re: Traveling with my red ear slider!!!!

Yes I did look into that because I did hear of similar situations with people having their turtles taken while trying to travel. If 18 hours won't be a big deal that will definitely take off some stress here. I will be able to check on her during the boat ride but they've given me a limit of 1-2 times since she will be in an employe's room and that employee will need to sleep. Would a cooler be a good place for her or would you still recommend a plastic container from like walmart?
Mabel20

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:52 am   Re: Traveling with my red ear slider!!!!

I'm not sure about a cooler, aren't they close to being air tight? Being completely dark will encourage her to sleep... what will the temperature be in your room?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:45 pm   Re: Traveling with my red ear slider!!!!

The cooler would only be air tight if I was to close it completely, I was thinking leave it with the lid off but just use the insolation inside of it to keep the water warmer for longer. I am not sure of what temperature the room will be on the boat as it is not mine and I am not in control of it. I am assuming it would be close to room temperature!!
Mabel20

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:32 pm   Re: Traveling with my red ear slider!!!!

How big is the cooler relative to your turtle? If your room is close to 20C, it should be fine too. In some cases, people have used hot water bottles to add some warmth, but of course I dont think you will need it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:48 am   Re: Traveling with my red ear slider!!!!

I haven't purchased a cooler yet I was just thinking it could be an idea. I would obviously get a cooler with enough space for her to move around a bit without being too crammed.
Mabel20

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:23 am   Re: Traveling with my red ear slider!!!!

If it's dark enough for her to sleep, it doesn't need to be big. In fact, if they are in a snug spot, they might stop struggling to get out. It's tricky... you have a lot of options here, it depends on your accommodations and how hands on you want to be.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:13 pm   Re: Traveling with my red ear slider!!!!

Just wanted to give you an update!! We made it home with no issues! We had her in a bucket during the boat trip and the staff on the boat were great with her. The drive was a little bit more difficult but we made it through with her switching between a warm water bucket and sitting on my lap in a towel.
Mabel20

Post Posted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:38 am   Re: Traveling with my red ear slider!!!!

Glad to know everyone made it OK! I would not have any water in the bucket, probably lap/towel all the way if she behaves.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion