General Care Discussion :: Padfoot wants to lay some eggs ..Here we go again

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:11 pm   Padfoot wants to lay some eggs ..Here we go again

Hi ,

seems Padfoot is gravid , been running around the house .. trying to dig up some linoleum at the kitchen ..

so we had a roadtrip to doctor (no padfoot wasnt driving .)

doctor took an xray and cause there was 5 eggs present , gave some calcium injection

and told us that if nothing happens then next week padfoot should recieve oxytosin injections ..

thats a bit strange cause shes been running around only week .. and another doctor (that we visited earlier) told us that theres nothing to worry about ..if sides are not bulging and no eggs are stuck (visibly) then theres no problem.

So the question is .. how long is it normal for RES to be gravid .. month in total and last 2 weeks digging ? so we have 1 week to go until we can panic ? :D

how long is it normal to run around ..trying to dig ... and then still lay some eggs...

btw Padfoot is eating all the time .

ooh and this is some picture of Padfoot at the doctors . :msgreen:

IMG_2017.jpg
Last edited by Madly on Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
"When an animal puts their trust in us, may we never let them down..."
-April Peerless-
Madly

Post Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:42 am   Re: Padfoot wants to lay some eggs ..

I think they want to lay after a week or two, then they might start to retain them and expel it into their tank. Is this her first time being gravid?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:53 am   Re: Padfoot wants to lay some eggs ..

No it's not her first time to be gravid. To years ago I saw one egg in her tank and that was it. No digging no running.
Last year she had an xray and there was no eggs. This year is first time when she's so restless and running around.
Today we gave her second calcium injection and four more to go :cry: But my intuition says that they are not needed and nature makes its own work we only have to be patient.
Whats everyone's experience?
-April Peerless-
Madly

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:59 pm   Re: Padfoot wants to lay some eggs ..

I would also skip them, especially since she has a good diet. Somethings we should not interfere with :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:29 pm   Re: Padfoot wants to lay some eggs ..

So far she's only digging on linoleum or carpet. Soon as I put her into the nesting box she starts running around , standing up and trying to escape...no digging in there. Nesting box is 130L big rubbermaid container and for digging I added soil and some sand and little bit coconut fibre/soil...but as I was saying...she thinks that I sould myself dig in there..not her because carpet and linoleum are the best.
Her diet is good so far she eats everything except pumpkin, eggplant and zucchini.

Little picture after a long day trying to dig up carpet....exhausting.
Attachments
20170305_222244.jpg
20170305_222244.jpg (111.71 KiB) Viewed 6714 times
-April Peerless-
Madly

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:08 pm   Re: Padfoot wants to lay some eggs ..

Would she try to nest in those towels? I recall someone's RES laying some eggs in slippers.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:37 pm   Re: Padfoot wants to lay some eggs ..

She did little bit kicking in those blankets but now I have the pleasure to announce that today she laid four eggs. I could not be happier over her..she ate like there's no tomorrow and acting like always.
Still one egg is missing because xray showed five eggs. We will be keeping close eye on her and maybe new xray is needed. Tomorrow I need to inform vet about our "egg story" like I promised.
Attachments
_MG_6476.JPG
_MG_6476.JPG (118.22 KiB) Viewed 6704 times
-April Peerless-
Madly

Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:11 am   Re: Padfoot wants to lay some eggs ..finally ...eggs...

Awesome news! So she actually used the nest box?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:07 pm   Re: Padfoot wants to lay some eggs ..finally ...eggs...

Yes she did. First she was running and trying to climb out but after 5 hours she started to dig and then fell asleep in that hole.
Next we noticed that she was awake and this hole she dug was mysteriously gone like that never was there. They are real experts at covering the hole.
About that one missing egg...vet said that we have to wait and we can continue with calcium shots if we want...i said "No more injections, lets wait few days". Also I'm gonna dig her nesting box properly maybe missing egg will come out.
This is her in nesting box-
Attachments
20170305_182533.jpg
In the nesting box
20170305_182533.jpg (62.92 KiB) Viewed 6696 times
-April Peerless-
Madly

Post Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:35 pm   Re: Padfoot wants to lay some eggs ..finally ...eggs...

Wow, that's very informative. Yes, they're experts at covering up... it's amazing how their instincts take over.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:09 pm   Re: Padfoot wants to lay some eggs ..waiting fifth missing e

As you all know she laid four eggs in 06.30.2017 but xray showed five eggs. Next day I dug her nesting box completely and didn't found fifth egg.
Also I noticed that she's not pooping and that and that made me a little anxious.
Yesterday we went to the vet and took new xray and that showed us the missing egg. It is moved to the pelvic bones and blocking everything.
Right now calcium shots are must have, because that egg is the biggest one (2.5cm diameter) she has to lay and her muscles don't work as they should. Also no food for her until she's egg and poop free.
So far she's recived two shots and four to go if that doesn't help next is oxytosin injection..and if that don't to the work then.....they gonna cut her up... :cry:

Right now she sits on her nesting box looking over shoulder and thinking ....
I hope everything turns out fine....please keep fingers crossed....
Attachments
20170322_213134.jpg
20170322_213134.jpg (82.41 KiB) Viewed 6643 times
-April Peerless-
Madly

Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:30 pm   Re: Padfoot wants to lay some eggs ..finally ...eggs...

Poor girl, I'm sending her positive turtle thoughts. I'm curious as to the calcium injection as I have not heard of them being used to induce egg laying.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:02 am   Re: Padfoot wants to lay some eggs ..fifth egg

Calcium shots are needed because her muscles don't work as they should they don't twitch. Calcium stimulates twitching. Another words she dont have enough calcium in her body. This is what vet explained to us when we asked about it.
Also we did our own research and this what we found.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/487889-does-calcium-help-muscles-contract/
Quote:
"When the brain signals the muscle to contract, the body pulls calcium from the blood into the muscle cells. The calcium binds with the troponin and draws it out of position.
The tropomyosin follows the troponin because the two proteins are linked together. When the troponin and tropomyosin move, this activates the actin and myosin to move toward each other and contract the muscle.
When the calcium dissipates, the troponin and tropomyosin move back into position, the myosin and actin separate, and the filaments slide apart to relax the muscle."

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002605.htm

Quote:
Symptoms of a calcium carbonate overdose include:
Abdominal pain
Bone pain
Coma
Confusion
Constipation
Depression
Diarrhea
Headache
Irregular heartbeat
Muscle twitching
Nausea
Vomiting

Right now she received her third shot, had a bath without food, little walk around the apartment and went in her nesting box.
I hope that everything works out well I'll keep you updated.
-April Peerless-
Madly

Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:44 pm   Re: Padfoot wants to lay some eggs ..fifth egg

Very interesting, thank you for the update.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:24 am   Re: Padfoot wants to lay some eggs ..all eggs laid

Good news. Today tuesday 28.03.2017 she laid final fifth egg.
Today we had another appointment at the vet where she was given 3ml oxydtosin and half hour later she laid that biggest missing egg.
Right now she's resting and being herself. Just to be sure we will keep an eye on her to be sure that everything is alright with her.
Attachments
_MG_6560.JPG
_MG_6552.JPG
_MG_6552.JPG (66.88 KiB) Viewed 6602 times
-April Peerless-
Madly

Next

Return to General Care Discussion