General Care Discussion :: Head Wound Treatment

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:53 am   Head Wound Treatment

So my female map got a burn or bite wound earlier this year and it seemed to be healing just fine on its own, until today, when it turned white ?!?

what would the proper treatment be? Dry docking for a couple of days? Ointment or a cream? Just let it be and see if it is just healing on its own?

photos of the wound "healing"?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
2 Res: Athena & Zelda
CactusJohn5

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:29 am   Re: Head Wound Treatment

I'd try dry docking plus an antibiotic ointment. Are your turtles separated?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:25 pm   Re: Head Wound Treatment

not yet, but they will be for dry docking
CactusJohn5

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:04 pm   Re: Head Wound Treatment

I second dry docking and using a mild antibiotic ointment. Gently clean the wound with a very very dilute iodine solution or some saline on a q-tip and then apply the ointment. If you can keep the turtles separated until it is mostly healed, that may be most advisable, but if not, I would just monitor. Be sure the water is kept extra clean. I've had to deal with injuries and sickness in my own turt, but she's on her own so housing her in a tote for months and dry docking wasn't too much of a hassle.

Good luck.
marie_09

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:09 pm   Re: Head Wound Treatment

so what is the best thing i can pick up at the store for this? Saline, iodine, some kind of cream? I'll run to the store and grab something tomorrow if it is that bad.
CactusJohn5

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:31 pm   Re: Head Wound Treatment

Just a basic triple antibiotic ointment should be okay. Stay away from any pain relieving neosporin or anything like that. Bacitracin should be gentle enough. Saline...plain saline is fine..like the kind you use for contacts
marie_09

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:06 pm   Re: Head Wound Treatment

Any reason to avoid neosporin? it's usually recommended.

If there is aggression, injuries will continue to escalate. Some turtles even like to focus on existing injuries.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:22 pm   Re: Head Wound Treatment

0 aggression between her and her tank mate, they are 2 females of different species who have been together for almost 10 year, she is a "clutz" and jumps off the dock into the wall, or flips down the dock, she reacts randomly to nothing and "freaks out" I am pretty she she cut herself with her shell.
CactusJohn5

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:41 pm   Re: Head Wound Treatment

Steve--When I worked at the vet hospital, our clinic was pretty clueless when it came to herps. So i reached out to several herp experts in the field and did a lot of reading on my own and kind of became our clinics "turtle lady". It was always suggested to avoid neosporin that has the pain relief in it...regular neosporin is fine...but I just always suggested plain bacitracin ointment. I don't remember what exactly it was about the neosporin with the pain relief that made it something to stay way from, but I do believe if caused some skin sensitivities. Plus the cream neosporin doesn't tend to "stick" as long as regular ointment does...so I always make sure it's ointment and not cream.
marie_09

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:43 am   Re: Head Wound Treatment

Oh, thanks for the clarification! I was not aware that there was more than one version. I'll be sure to remember it!
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion