General Care Discussion :: New owner of a rehome

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:51 pm   New owner of a rehome

He's over 10 years old, living with a plecostomus who's the same age. The owner had to move and left him with my mom and I'm helping her to figure out the best way to take care of him.

Does the water need conditioner? I was thinking with the pleco it wouldn't be a bad idea. The previous owner just gave him tap water. How often on cleaning the tank? What kind of lightbulb and how often should it be on?

I'm not really sure what questions to ask so any information would be appreciated.

http://imgur.com/6oAFcXN
schweppes

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:11 am   Re: New owner of a rehome

Hi, the tank size looks pretty good, but you need to review everything else. You don't need a water conditioner if you're using carbon in your filter and it's much safer that way. You should add more water, the heater should be lower (only the very top should stick out on most models). You should remove the gravel and bricks, but you need some hiding spots for the pleco. You'll also need a new basking area. You'll also need a better filter and a UVB lamp (in addition to the basking lamp).
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:08 am   Re: New owner of a rehome

Thank you so much. What should go in place of the bricks and gravel? Any tips on a good UVB lamp? I'm also not sure what wattage bulb the basking needs or how often.
schweppes

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:05 pm   Re: New owner of a rehome

How big is the tank? Cork bark is a great basking area, and pool filter sand is a good substrate. You'll sill need to add some hiding space for pleco, maybe some PVC pipe will do. For compact UVBs, most people use Reptiglo or Reptisun.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:21 am   Re: New owner of a rehome

It's a 50 gallon. I was considering digging out the 100 gallon and giving him tons of space, but I'm not sure if it'd be too much? Then again, finding the space to fit a 100 gallon would be the hard part.

I might be taking him in because my mom's not taking care of him. I was sick so I stayed home for a little while and come over to find that his tank is absolutely disgusting.

So far I know he needs a new filter, pool filter sand instead of gravel, get rid of the bricks, get cork bark, PVC for the pleco, UVB lamp, new basking lamp (at least bulb), more water in the tank. I did try relaying this information to my mom and she just said he's been living like this with his previous owner for 10 years, he'll be fine.
schweppes

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:13 am   Re: New owner of a rehome

A 100 gallon would be fine, the bigger the better. The turtle may have survived but it certainly was not thriving.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:35 pm   Re: New owner of a rehome

Hi, I have no idea how to use these forums or where to post this kind of question but I really need some advice. My two turtles have just been put in a new, much bigger tank and it seems like they've forgotten how to swim. Should I be worried or just leave them to it and they'll find their way to the surface eventually. I tried taking them back out and onto their basking areas but they just jump straight back in?
CraigDIRL

Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:41 am   Re: New owner of a rehome

If they are healthy, they should be fine. You can slowly raise water levels too, they are very natural swimmers.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion