General Care Discussion :: Baby RES turtle shell turning white ?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:06 am   Baby RES turtle shell turning white ?

My turtle shell keeps losing its colour and it's getting whiter , what's
Going on ? How do I provide a picture ? It says file too big
IamSifter

Post Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:54 pm   Re: Baby RES turtle shell turning white ?

Likely it's fungus. If the picture is too big and you can't size, try a 3rd part host (imgur, photobucket) or email it to me redearslider@gmail.com
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:22 pm   Re: Baby RES turtle shell turning white ?

I sent an email , my email is kylewoodhams@live.com
IamSifter

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:18 pm   Re: Baby RES turtle shell turning white ?

I don't seem much pyramiding, but feel free to review the diet.

The white does look like shell fungus. It's better to treat it before it gets out of hand.
Attachments
image2.jpeg
image1.jpeg
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:55 pm   Re: Baby RES turtle shell turning white ?

How do I avoid shell fungus?
IamSifter

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:02 pm   Re: Baby RES turtle shell turning white ?

oh and how do I treat it?
IamSifter

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:13 am   Re: Baby RES turtle shell turning white ?

Thanks for the new photos. The best treatment requires a medication called silver sulfadiazine cream. You'll need a place to dry dock your turtle and apply a small amount of the cream. It could take only a few days, maybe a week to treat.
Attachments
image4.jpeg
image3.jpeg
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:25 pm   Re: Baby RES turtle shell turning white ?

IamSifter

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:46 am   Re: Baby RES turtle shell turning white ?

Shell rot is not fungus Check this thread viewtopic.php?t=10839
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:51 am   Re: Baby RES turtle shell turning white ?

That's awesome, so all I have is fungus right? Phew, I thought it was shell rot but it showed no symptoms of it, thanks a lot man, i'll keep you updated but do I just apply the cream on the entire shell and then dry dock it for how long? Or do I apply cream on infected areas and how long should I drydock it for?
IamSifter

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:38 am   Re: Baby RES turtle shell turning white ?

I prefer to do this overnight to maximize the cream, plus your turtle can safely quietly sleep during this time. SO dry dock for 30-60 min to make sure the shell is dry first, then apply a very very thin layer to the affected areas. In the morning, wipe any residue left and put him back into the tank. The cream is a little greasy, so your turtle might be a little slippery.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:51 am   Re: Baby RES turtle shell turning white ?

I couldn't get the cream anywhere where I live and my local pet store recommend I scrub the shell with a toothbrush and hydrogen peroxide 2 times a day and let it dry dock. Will hydrogen peroxide work ? All I have is hydrogen peroxide sadly..
IamSifter

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:54 am   Re: Baby RES turtle shell turning white ?

I tried it this morning
IamSifter

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:41 am   Re: Baby RES turtle shell turning white ?

I do not know what hydrogen peroxide will do. The cream requires a prescription, though if you have a family vet you can ask for some. You can also find it online.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:14 pm   Re: Baby RES turtle shell turning white ?

I have a baby Mississippi Map and he has the same fungus on his shell . I don't have the money for a vet bill .. but when I searched  silver sulfadiazine cream . A Silver antimicrobial gel came up . Is that the same or ? I'm also going to try what @iamsifter did with the peroxide. I also have epsoms salts . Just don't know if that'll work or not .
2 RES Males , God and Lucifer
the-turtle-Girl

Next

Return to General Care Discussion