General Care Discussion :: My RES laid an egg and has stop doing so

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:04 pm   My RES laid an egg and has stop doing so

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this . This is my first post and I'm not really sure where to ask this.
My female RES is 5 years old and this is her first time laying egg. I also have a male RES and they probably mated.
So , 3 days ago i found an egg in her tank. In the water. It was so surprising cause she never shown any signs of being gravid. Even now she still shows no sign. She is eating really well, relax in the tank and haven't shown any digging action. I introduce to her a nesting box which she is super terrified of. She is around 8 to 9 inch long and she is super strong. She freaks out and flips on her back constantly and couldn't get back up at all. So i decided to put the nest box in her tank instead but now she would not bask. She gets up and turns back to the water right before reaching the area with soil.i'm so worried cause this is my first time handling this and i really dont want her to get hurt. I'm unable to take her to the vet cause all the vets are too far away.

So my questions are 1) How long does it take for her to lay the rest of her eggs?
2) Is it normal to take this long for her to lay the rest of her eggs after already laying one?
3) what can i do to help her?
4) would giving her some calcium supplements help her lay?
5) Do you think i should keep the nesting box in the tank or place her in one outside of the tank untill she isn't scared?( although she most likely wont stop being scared)
6) is there anything else that i need to know to handle this?
7) will the egg be fertile eventhough the male haven't started fanning yet.
TryingMyBest

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:55 pm   Re: My RES laid an egg and has stop doing so

1 - times will vary, especially if she's not exhibiting any signs
2 - no, they will normally want to lay them in one nest
3 - not much... nest boxes usually dont work. do you have any place outside to use?
4 - calcium would not help her lay
5 - find a place for her when she's exhibiting those signs (restlessness)
6 - have you felt for any existing eggs?
7 - the eggs won't be fertile if she lays them in the water
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:52 am   Re: My RES laid an egg and has stop doing so

No, i have no place to put her...
She seems to bask more often now... But not resltless yet
I can feel the egg when i touch her near her hind leg.....and their pretty visible too...it looks quite bloated
Does that mean she really need to lay?
I'm really worried
TryingMyBest

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:16 am   Re: My RES laid an egg and has stop doing so

Being bloated, she might just be overweight. You'd have to feel in front of her hind leg.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:27 am   Re: My RES laid an egg and has stop doing so

I'm really sure she still has eggs in her..... I can really feel the egg near her leg. It has already been a week since she laid her first egg. She seems to be bit more aggressive during feeding time. Should i be worried? Is she egg bound? How long untill she is classified as egg bound?
TryingMyBest

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:52 am   Re: My RES laid an egg and has stop doing so

See this for reference:

If she still has eggs, she most likely expel them in water now.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:43 am   Re: My RES laid an egg and has stop doing so

Yup , she still has eggs.....and still hasn't laid any
Is this normal?
TryingMyBest

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:47 am   Re: My RES laid an egg and has stop doing so

She'll probably expel them into the water now.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:01 am   Re: My RES laid an egg and has stop doing so

Update: She just laid ONE egg a few minutes ago.
I left the room for about 5 minutes and came back to an egg in the water
But it has already been eaten a bit.
The color also doesn't look good.
It isnt as white as the first egg she laid even though she has just laid it.A bit grey
Does that mean its rotting in her?
What should i do?
TryingMyBest

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:45 am   Re: My RES laid an egg and has stop doing so

I don't think they're rotting or calcifying, but it's a good sign it came out.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion