General Care Discussion :: Sheldon excessively basking and pooping

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:49 am   Sheldon excessively basking and pooping

Hello all.

Sheldon has done this twice in one week now - middle of the night she gets up on her basking platform. Tried to put her in the water, she freaks. This morning I discovered she needed to poop. Now, she slowly worked her way back into the water to do so and is fine now in the water. Do I call the vet? Why would she do this a week apart and pooping like 5 times in between with no trouble?
1 RES - A girl named Sheldon
1 feeder fish - affectionately named Fishy - RIP 5/27/12
cutepanda86

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:58 am   Re: Sheldon excessively basking and pooping

I've no idea, maybe weather related. It's been awhile since I've seen night basking but it doesn't sound like I would do anything different in this situation at the moment. I think the weather has been making my turtles weird too - they are in separate tanks and cannot see each other but both were not basking, then basking a lot.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:44 am   Re: Sheldon excessively basking and pooping

I was thinking the same thing. Both nights the odd behavior occurred the weather shifted and we finally got some rain. We're dryer than the desert up here and we desperately need the rain. I'm going to clean the filter tomorrow and install a fresh basking bulb tonight so we'll see how that goes.

Sounds like your little ones are all over the map too Steve. I guess the only time to panic would be if she continues doing this for more than a few nights in a row.
cutepanda86

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:42 pm   Re: Sheldon excessively basking and pooping

Yeah, I try not to look too deep into it but I wish there were ways to accurately figure them out.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:37 am   Re: Sheldon excessively basking and pooping

As do I. I think it would lead to a lot less nervous turtle parents. ;)
cutepanda86

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:06 pm   Re: Sheldon excessively basking and pooping

Definitely, it makes me question myself when they don't act like themselves.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:40 pm   Re: Sheldon excessively basking and pooping

They certainly like to keep us on our toes. Little stinkers. :P
cutepanda86

Return to General Care Discussion