General Care Discussion :: Newbies coming... New Pics :)

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:56 pm   Newbies coming... New Pics :)

Hi everyone, Been awhile since I posted. My husband is surprising me with two new juvenile turtles.. they arrive Tuesday and Wednesday of next week. I am getting a 2-3" mississippi map and a 2-3" western painted turtle. I have never gotten turtles in the mail before, can you give me any tips about unboxing and putting in the tank. I want to start these two off together in same tank and hope for the best that they remain compatible as they age. One question I have is,,, should I quarantine them from each other for a while? If so, how long of a quarantine. They are coming from two different vendors.

Thank you for your advice and tips in advance...
Last edited by unclejoe on Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midland Painted--Philbert--SIP :(
1-2 1/4" Mississippi Map Turtle(Male)--Atlas
1-2 1/2" Western Painted Turtle (male)--Titan
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:17 am   Re: Newbies coming...

Are they going into the same tank as Philbert? Or just each other? I would probably unbox them in a quiet, dim area. You might want to consider giving them a nice soak (warm and dechlorinated) and see if they will eat a bit. Quarantine is always a good idea, though I don't think many do it if they feel their turtles are healthy.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:25 am   Re: Newbies coming...

No they won't be going in with Philbert. We lost him last week. I have been devasted ever since. We built him beautiful little outdoor habitat with hiding places and plants. But we used a kiddie pool, it was in the corner of our front covered Porch, 6 feet off the lawn at least. We put screening over it and a ferret play pen around it... Every night I would bring him in.. Finally decided it was warm enough to leave him out nights and the second night in he went missing. He had been going out there in the daytime for a least a month. The Pool was all disturbed like something chased him down.. I feel really sick and responsible if I had just brought him in like I did every other night he would be fine.. :(

So no they won't be meeting him, but I do wanna keep them together. Hoping the two different species may be able to stay together. They are gonna arrive at my place of work since no one will be home. So I am bringing a rubber maid dish tub to put them in. You suggest warm water.. or should I leave them in travelling container till I get home? I can let them soak and swim there if that is better for them.. I work at a pet grooming salon so will be able to put them in a small cage and leave them be till we go home..
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:30 am   Re: Newbies coming...

how long should they soak in the tub before putting in tank.. I get one Tues and one Wednesday.. My Map arrives tuesday the Painted Wednesday..
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:40 am   Re: Newbies coming...

I am really devasted about Philbert.. He was becoming so people friendly, he would swim into your hand and sit on just one finger while you gave him a shell rub. When I first started putting him in the pool.. He acted like he missed being able to see us through the day.. In the tank he is in the livingroom and would see us throughout the day coming in and out. In the pool, he appeared lonely the first few days.. till he understood it was a new place for him to live.. When he figured out the bathing spot and the sun he was a happy camper.. he would sit on it all day, if you come in and out of house or up the steps from the drive he never dove off. He was that comfortable around us. I feel so bad leaving him as sitting duck :(

But one thing I learned, I loved having a pet turtle.. I can't stand seeing empty tank.. Breaks my heart.. Why hubby decided to get me a couple new ones.. No one will be Phil though. But I haven't met a turtle I don't like. So hopefully the new ones will fit in quite fast..
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:47 am   Re: Newbies coming...

Sorry about your loss. I'm sure you will love your new turtles.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:14 am   Re: Newbies coming...

Kansasslider,, you have a mississippi Map?? and tips on keeping mine healthy? I have read you need to keep water more clean and also to have more of a flow. I haven't decided if I should get a bubbler or maybe it would be better investment to get a water fall filter with my Fluval underwater filter..
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:16 am   Re: Newbies coming...

I am considering an algae eater to keep up with the algae on the rocks.. I realize it may be food, but has anyone had any sucess keeping them with turtles and if so what kind?
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:59 am   Re: Newbies coming...

This is what we have right now. Now that I am gun shy about safety.. Can anyone see problems with this set up? We bought this plastic tree root the day before losing Phil. We were planning on setting up tank real nice for him when he came back in,, in the fall. Do you think this is to much stuff for two turtles to swim around comfortably? I stacked the rocks to the side to leave some crevaces so when we get feeder fish they have a chance to hide. Could that possibly be a hazzard for 2-3" turtles? Also is the water deep enough if the turtles dive off the root they won't hit the bottom??

We discovered when phil was in the pool.. He had huge flat area to sun bathe on and then a small piece of pottery and he consistantly chose the pottery so he could sit at an angle. So we thought maybe they prefer to be on an angle for whatever reason, That's why when we saw this onsale at petsmart for half price we thought it might be perfect.. We did put it in his pool just to see if he could climb the plastic and he was all about climbing it.. Just had to becareful this thing is much taller then the pool..lol
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:41 pm   Re: Newbies coming...

Yes, I own a Mississippi map. No special care. He will eat some carrot but will not eat lettuce. He likes frozen shrimp/large krill. He is housed with the rest of my turtles. I'm not sure if I'm just lucky but so far they all get along. The tank looks great! Just make sure they can't get stuck in the rocks and drown.
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:27 pm   Re: Newbies coming...

yeah that is what I am worried about.. last time I stacked them no spaces.. this time I left gaps.. some big enough for them to go into and others hopefully fish can escape.. Not that I don't want them eating the feeders.. just would like to see them last more then 30 seconds..lol Will have to watch closely first day and see if they appear small enough to slide into crevaces.. if so will do something different with the layout.. I am more concerned protecting the turtles then the fish.. :P

I have read the maps are very peaceful not aggressive.. Make good community members..
In our experience feeding wild turtles.. the only aggression we ever saw was turtles of the same species.. The softie females were the worst for attacking each other.. But we also saw YBS get aggressive.. Mainly the males over the girls during breeding season.. So we kind of want to stay away from same species and definitely opposite sexes if we can.. We are hopefully getting two males.. this size still to small to be sure,, but they are gonna try..
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:45 pm   Re: Newbies coming...

My missippi is a small male. And your right he is just too cute. Skittish I would say compared to the rest. I'm not a fan of feeder fish because of the parasite potential. I prefer feeding frozen krill fish etc. Just something to consider. Would like pictures when you get them. Maybe a unboxing video?
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:51 pm   Re: Newbies coming...

won't be able to do that.. Getting the turtles while on the clock at work.. If I take them out to soak,,, that will be all I am able to do without ticking my boss off. I will be getting them around 10:30 in morning and not leaving work to closer to four.. Should I take them out and soak them while we work,, then re package to take mine home? About 10 min drive..Or should we just leave them in box till we are ready to leave We ordered two maps.. my manager wants one too..lol I get my painted on Wednesday when I have the day off.. I could do video of that one.. Uploading will be a pita.. lol

I heard they are more skittish but will come around. I am only gonna have the two and plan on spending a lot of time with them to get them not people shy. The shiest turtle we worked with in Florida in the wild, would you believe was a florida Snapping turtle? That was the longest one to come in and take pellets.. He would creep up along the bottom in the mud clouds and just watch.. He really was very creepy till he got past his fear.. Then he was just awesome, very quiet natured gentle turtle.. don't get me wrong we could feel the power in his jaws when he grabbed cat food off a spoon.. but he never snapped.. just a gentle grab..lol
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:09 pm   Re: Newbies coming...

I'm not sure if you should take them home or not. If it were me I would. But that's just me :-)
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT Male/ Spots

Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:11 pm   Re: Newbies coming...

We can't take them home during shift.. We got permission to have them shipped there so they wouldn't be left outside in the heat.. We either have to leave them in box they came in.. Or we can put them in a rubber maid dish tub with water during the day till we go home.. I just can't figure out what is more tramatic.. leaving them in plastic container for a few more hours... or take them out put in water then take them back out and put in plastic container to drive home safely with them..
40 gallon tank
unclejoe

Next

Return to General Care Discussion