General Care Discussion :: Unable to surface?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:20 pm   Unable to surface?

So it's seems like my turtles can't surface correctly. They struggle to and when they can, it's only for about 2 seconds. And for some reason, one of them keeps chasing his tail or something. So, what do I do?
RedZz

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:57 pm   Re: Unable to surface?

Do you have a platform for them to climb on? They shouldn't be floating to reach their heads out of the water, make sure you don't have too much water (about the height of the turtle is good), or they can drown. Turtles are good swimmers, but need a break sometimes to just lay on something. Either that, or they might be sick. Is anything weird coming out of their mouths or nose? I'm not sure about the biting of the tails, though, sorry.
hi9215

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:43 am   Re: Unable to surface?

hi9215 wrote:Do you have a platform for them to climb on? They shouldn't be floating to reach their heads out of the water, make sure you don't have too much water (about the height of the turtle is good), or they can drown. Turtles are good swimmers, but need a break sometimes to just lay on something. Either that, or they might be sick. Is anything weird coming out of their mouths or nose? I'm not sure about the biting of the tails, though, sorry.

Yes, there's a basking dock. They're not biting their tails, it kind of looks like they're doing flips in the water. They don't have anything coming out of their mouth or noses.
RedZz

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:15 am   Re: Unable to surface?

When they flip over, can they get back up by themselves? Is anything else unusual about your turtle (not eating or swimming weird)? I got a new RES once and she flipped over often too, but was energetic besides, and she turned to have RI and didn't make it. She only starting having bubbles from her nose the day before, and then she passed. Turtles can hide their sicknesses very well and will start to show symptoms at later stages. I'm not a professional or anything, though, so I might be wrong. This link may help you, I'm not sure:

http://www.justanswer.com/pet/10md2-red ... -back.html

Hope it's nothing serious, they could also just be playing. Again, I'm not a professional.
hi9215

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:23 am   Re: Unable to surface?

Are they hatchlings? How deep is the water?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:27 am   Re: Unable to surface?

steve wrote:Are they hatchlings? How deep is the water?

These were actually my first questions as well after reading the thread carefully, lolol , we think alike which is scary for the most part. My next question however is asking for a video to observe them during this activity and tank itself. This should answer the questions really in good detail after posting it on the forums.
Confirmed Sexed Pair of Albino Red Ear Sliders, Baby Albino and Hybino Red Ear Slider and Adult Normal Male Red Ear Slider
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:07 pm   Re: Unable to surface?

steve wrote:Are they hatchlings? How deep is the water?

They're about 2 inches in length. Not sure how deep the water is, but not very deep.

hi9215 wrote:When they flip over, can they get back up by themselves? Is anything else unusual about your turtle (not eating or swimming weird)? I got a new RES once and she flipped over often too, but was energetic besides, and she turned to have RI and didn't make it. She only starting having bubbles from her nose the day before, and then she passed. Turtles can hide their sicknesses very well and will start to show symptoms at later stages. I'm not a professional or anything, though, so I might be wrong. This link may help you, I'm not sure:

http://www.justanswer.com/pet/10md2-red ... -back.html

Hope it's nothing serious, they could also just be playing. Again, I'm not a professional.

Yes, they flip back over, but what I mean is they flip and they kind of look like they're trying to catch their tail. I'll try to take a video next time.

EDIT: I just measured the water and it's 3'9 inches.
RedZz

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:59 pm   Re: Unable to surface?

Are they able to use their hind legs and "stand up" while in the water? The other turtle circling... that could be a problem. Are both eating?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:08 pm   Re: Unable to surface?

steve wrote:Are they able to use their hind legs and "stand up" while in the water? The other turtle circling... that could be a problem. Are both eating?

Yes, both eating and they can use their hind legs. They seem to have gotten used to it. However, I'm still wondering about why he always looks like he's chasing his tail.

Another thing, his shell seems to have gotten more bright over the months. Is this just him (idk what gender he is) growing? It's not white. It's a brighter green. I'll try to take a picture later.
RedZz

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:10 pm   Re: Unable to surface?

Is he a confirmed male?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:17 pm   Re: Unable to surface?

steve wrote:Is he a confirmed male?

I don't know what gender he is and since he's a baby it's hard to figure out.
RedZz

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:22 am   Re: Unable to surface?

Image here's the latest photo. just ignore my hand lol i was making sure s/he wouldn't try to jump off or something

Image here's the best one i have of him/her before its shell turned different
also ignore my other turtle lol
RedZz

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:47 am   Re: Unable to surface?

Your turtle looks to be overall healthy besides a suspected neurological disorder in which many of these type cases can not be treated. I have seen this in a few turtles and snakes over the years. Though I am all for providing a large swimming area that they can actually swim and grow in, the turtles that have this I believe should be provided shallower water without question as sort of speak a special needs turtle child . Did you just get these turtles recently? With it appearing healthy otherwise and feeding would most likely of stemmed during incubation or possibly genetic. Some major neglected health issues resulted overtime into neurological disorders however this is for sure not the case here at all being so young and eating. Nice looking turtles by the way.

A video when you get a chance may be able to help further as well. But at this point, I am leaning with a neurological disorder.
Confirmed Sexed Pair of Albino Red Ear Sliders, Baby Albino and Hybino Red Ear Slider and Adult Normal Male Red Ear Slider
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:34 pm   Re: Unable to surface?

Tampa Bay Turtle Fan wrote:Your turtle looks to be overall healthy besides a suspected neurological disorder in which many of these type cases can not be treated. I have seen this in a few turtles and snakes over the years. Though I am all for providing a large swimming area that they can actually swim and grow in, the turtles that have this I believe should be provided shallower water without question as sort of speak a special needs turtle child . Did you just get these turtles recently? With it appearing healthy otherwise and feeding would most likely of stemmed during incubation or possibly genetic. Some major neglected health issues resulted overtime into neurological disorders however this is for sure not the case here at all being so young and eating. Nice looking turtles by the way.

A video when you get a chance may be able to help further as well. But at this point, I am leaning with a neurological disorder.

I can't make a swimming area since I live in an apartment where I only have a small patio and that patio is mainly filled with plants. I got them on either Feb 2nd or 3rd this year. I'm starting to suspect that it's just because I recently installed a bubble wall. It could also be because I added more water when adding the bubble wall. However, I have added about this amount of water, more actually, and they were fine. So maybe it's the bubble wall? And they seem to be fine even when they flip, they just do a couple flips then go back to swimming and whatnot. The flipping also seems to have gone down, but if it happens again, i'll take a video.

But my question is still if they're growing normally. Is it normal that their shell is different now?

Thanks
RedZz

Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:35 pm   Re: Unable to surface?

A video would help. When my male turtle was a hatchling, he suffered something that I believe was neurological and I've seen a handful of times with other RES. Also, you might need to feed him a *little* less as those seams around his shell are thick.
steve
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Care Discussion