General Care Discussion :: Are Red Eared Sliders listed as 'Near Threatened' ?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:46 pm   Are Red Eared Sliders listed as 'Near Threatened' ?

I was just checking reptile species of Sri Lanka,and I went Wikipedia to find the information easily...( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... 5749879452 )But what I found there really excited me...I don't know why they are saying like that...But they have categorized 'Red Eared Sliders' as 'Near Threatened'...I couldn't stop laugh at it,but is there something 'true' about it ?
waterboy

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:17 am   Re: Are Red Eared Sliders listed as 'Near Threatened' ?

No, it's not true.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:08 pm   Re: Are Red Eared Sliders listed as 'Near Threatened' ?

Not at all , Like in Florida, Red ears were released in the wild being non native here, much like burmese pythons. Both the red ear and burmese has caused environmental issues while flooding in ongoing offspring everywhere leading to the State of Florida hiring experienced and professional reptile hunters from all over in addition to professional licensed State Trappers side by side with FWC Officers to come catch and exterminate both these two species from wild populations. Owners of these species must have FWC permits and can not breed and or release them back in the wild nor can they be sold here legally. I found out late yesterday that people may have normal red ear sliders though with a class 3 FWC permit but under the conditions mentioned. I had a class 3 permit for many years for my pet alligators which now require a class 2 permit. Class 2 and class 1 permits must be applied for with attached documentation of hours of experienced husbandry and care that is signed off by other class 2 and 1 permit holders. A class 3 permit, anyone can get really after paying the fee and waiting 4 to 8 weeks normally but it can be issued faster.

People here that own red ears who wish to sell their personal red ears outside the State, FWC has reported that they will send them shipping boxes to do so. Some reptile businesses here also market them in quantity wholesale but for customers outside Florida ONLY. A prime example of this is a old friend of mine who I used to sell reptiles to by the name of Ben, the owner of Underground Reptiles who advertises on Kingsnake . com .......Hope this gives you a example how over flooded the market is here. Baby Red Ear sliders I can get for under 1 dollar wholesale myself as there are so many. Besides this, only morph red ear sliders can be legally bred and owned here without a permit however many of these morphs are very expensive and many people can not afford them.
Confirmed Sexed Pair of Albino Red Ear Sliders, Baby Albino and Hybino Red Ear Slider and Adult Normal Male Red Ear Slider
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan

Post Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:30 pm   Re: Are Red Eared Sliders listed as 'Near Threatened' ?

I believe thousands of RES were released because kids forced their parents into buying the turtles thinking they were ninja turtles from the movie "teenage mutant ninja turtles" but the kids found out that they weren't ninjas so then they released them into nearby ponds/rivers..

I was pretty shocked when I first read about it...
Fish keeper & Turtle know it all... Ish
Rizvan

Return to General Care Discussion