General Care Discussion :: Baby Turtles

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:41 pm   Baby Turtles

My roommates bought me 2 baby RES turtles from China town. I bought them a 10 gallon tank and feed them pellets and small pieces of organic romaine lettuce. I've had them for about a few weeks but still learning to take care of them.

I just bought them a water heater, a lamp, and a larger tank. They seem to be doing well however, I just have some questions, I want to make sure they're absolutely okay.

They don't bask. They have rocks to climb on so they can fully dry off but they don't seem to enjoy basking. I put them outside in a big container with some water and rocks every day and sometimes they'll bask in the sun. I know they need 8 hours of it a day, but i can't force them to do it. Anything I can do to fix this?

Occasionally, I see them open their mouths underwater, they don't make any noise but I worry that that could be a RI? They show no other signs of illness (ie: bubbles from nose, puffy eyes, bumpy throat).

One of them has a light green shell, it almost looks sickly, but their shell is hard and they swim around and eat on a regular basis, is that normal for shells to be lighter green when they're younger?

I love my turtles and I want them to live happily for as long as possible. Any advice helps! I've been reading up on them, i know they're not like fish, they need a lot more care than people realize.
radologist

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:23 am   Re: Baby Turtles

Does the lamp produce heat? Can you post a picture of their tank? You probably don't need to take them out and it could be a dangerous. Coloration varies, so it's probably nothing.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:36 pm   Re: Baby Turtles

Photos would help indeed and if the lamp produces heat as steve ask, do you know the basking area temperatures and water temperatures by any chance? Steve and I are on the right thinking pattern once again on your issue. Red ears love to bask during their 10 to 12 hour cycles during the day time.
Confirmed Sexed Pair of Albino Red Ear Sliders, Baby Albino and Hybino Red Ear Slider and Adult Normal Male Red Ear Slider
Tampa Bay Turtle Fan

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:52 pm   Re: Baby Turtles

Yes, I have a light it is a 75W Repti Basking Spot Lamp it produces plenty of heat.

I just caught one of them basking but they jumped off the rock when I walked in the room. I think they're still adjusting to me and their new tank.

I'm still waiting for the water heater and thermometer to come in the mail. I felt the water and it is warmer than room temperature which is about 70 degrees. I think the lamp has heated the water, but the water feels warmer than the rocks which seems strange to me because the lamp is closer to the rocks than the water.
Attachments
IMG_9168-1.JPG
radologist

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:38 am   Re: Baby Turtles

Maybe cover the sides of the tank to help them adjust. I'd also suggest a simpler platform and raise the water level. (Something like this: http://www.lllreptile.com/products/1837 ... g-platform ) Pick up one of those cheap sticker lcd thermometers at a pet store, they are fairly accurate and good as a backup.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion