General Care Discussion :: Emergency - Lost Turtle

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:56 pm   Emergency - Lost Turtle

Okay so my daughter 16 years old took 2 of my largest turtles outside and only returned one. Any Ideas on finding him? I think that he might be in the neighbors garage, but they looked and could not find him. Any Ideas?
Starscream

Post Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:46 pm   Re: Emergency - Lost Turtle

Basically you need to keep looking and listening. Will your neighbor allow you to search yourself? He might be quick to bury himself, so I'd look for nearby piles of rocks and bushes first.

Some tips from our main section:

If possible, set up additional barriers and restrain any large pets (e.g., cat, dogs). There is no specific pattern a RES may take while exploring, though check along the perimeter, along walls and under anything that may provide cover (e.g., bushes, leaves, rocks).

They are very easy to overlook outdoors but you need to look under and behind everything. They can often squeeze horizontally or vertically into crevices and unusually tight places.

If you have a nearby water source, such as a stream, then follow along it and inspect any potential basking areas. If there is a pond nearby, stand close and peer into it. A previously captive RES will not shy away from people.

Listen and look for movement. A leafy ground, tall grass and plants may offer signals if your turtle is moving in that area.

Your turtle may survive about a week or two in ideal conditions. However, it is also possible that your turtle may have sustained injuries and has restricted movement. Leave a shallow bowl of water with food (a smelly food like tuna may be more effective) incase your turtle comes across it. It may also be used as an indicator for any recent movement, though it may not be your turtle that consumes it.

Do not underestimate their ability to stay hidden and the size of your turtle will determine the difficulty of the task. They move faster and further than you might believe, though can very well be nearby. Continue to search for your turtle and expect it to be more active during the day and to sleep at night.

Ask neighbors, especially children. They often spend more time outside and might have noticed something out of place or unusual. If possible, check neighbor’s ponds as well.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:56 am   Re: Emergency - Lost Turtle

Sorry Steve. Thanks for the advise. So Mikey got to spend the night outside. In the morning I went out and stood the last place that i had saw him. And I just looked around, and thought if I was a scarred turtle where would i go? I came up with 2 ideas, under the cars, or under the couch on the porch. He was under the couch on the porch, he must have decided that was where he was going to take shelter for the night. So he has been recovered and is no worse for the wear.
Starscream

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:01 am   Re: Emergency - Lost Turtle

Glad he turned up quickly Starscream!
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion