General Care Discussion :: Possible animal cruelty.

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:01 pm   Possible animal cruelty.

Today there was a fascinating presentation at my school today. It was about different reptiles and coservation, bla bla bla. Something got my attention however. It was the space these reptiles were in. A big 15 year old tortoise about 2 1/2 feet straight shell length was in one of those big Rubbermaid bins, but it barely fit in there, not to mention the bin had no air holes in it. A 6 inch box turtle was in a similar container along with other cooters, but they all were in cloth bags about half the size of your
everyday microwave. Don't even ask about the snakes, they were in worse conditions. Two pythons were in a crate the size of a 20 gallon tank. An 11 foot anaconda was in a similar crate. Miscellaneous reptiles were in small Rubbermaid boxes. I really wonder if this is animal cruelty.
-Daniel-
DanielRES1180

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:34 pm   

I would certainly think it would be. I wonder what could be done about that...
Bobbi-RES 3.5 inches
Squirt-RES 2.5 inches
Cubbie- Cat
sarah

Post Posted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:05 pm   

Ok, did they bring the animals to the school or did you go to them? I'm just wondering if these things were used just to transport the animals or if they were actually what they lived in.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:47 am   

yea i know a couple places that just use that kind of stuff to transport them, doesn't make it right but just a different view on it.
Try to be like the turtle -- at ease in your own shell.

Davinci and Leonardo <3
TNTurtles

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:34 am   

Actually the size of container you'd use to transport a turtle would be a lot smaller than the size it would live in. You don't want them to have space to move around so they can't get hurt.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:05 pm   

Now, the presentation came to the school, and I'd let this slide if it were a short presentation. However, these guys were there the whole darn school day presenting the animals period after period. I just can't imagine an animal stuck in a Rubbermaid container for 7 hours or more. :(
I think they should not be litterally wedged into the container, as in the case of the giant tortoise. Besides, we're not talking about i-pods or laptops that might get damaged, we're talking about live animals. Sure, the container mustn't be as big as to invite injury to the animal, but they shouldn't be at the other extreme as when they're wedged into the container.
-Daniel-
DanielRES1180

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:53 pm   

I would assume that those must just be the transportation cases. I would hope that the animals are kept in much larger habitats. I
KellyP

Return to General Care Discussion