General Care Discussion :: turtles seem hungrier than usual

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:48 pm   turtles seem hungrier than usual

lately ive noticed my turtles are hungrier than usual, id been feeding them twice daily, 4 or 5 wardley sticks each, but now every time i go near the tank they stick their heads out and ive even seen one eat their own poop, not nice, should i just feed them more? thanks guys

martin
mrodrigo

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:52 pm   

No, you shouldn't feed them more. Depending on the age, they should be fed only once every day (for hatchlings) and once every other day for older turtles. They are very good at begging, but don't give in to them. Giving veggies every day is also a must and a good way to curb their begging. :)
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:03 pm   

they are almost 2 years old and about 3 3/4" in. in diam. what kind of veggies should i feed them?
mrodrigo

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:11 pm   

There is a feeding list and a what not to feed list on the nutrition page. Dark leafy greens are a good start though. And remember variety.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:24 am   

sonyj wrote:Giving veggies every day is also a must and a good way to curb their begging. :)

Veggies are great but might not curb the begging. They're too good at that :P
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:27 am   

steve wrote:Veggies are great but might not curb the begging. They're too good at that :P

I guess I just have an unusual turtle or he's not a master in the art form of begging yet. All I have to do is drop in a couple of carrot slivers or an extra piece of lettuce and he's a happy camper for the rest of the day. :D
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:35 am   

I was thinking that I read somewhere that if the water temp is too high it can lead to turtles eating more. What is your water temp, and could that be part of the problem?
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:47 am   

I've noticed an increase in my RES's appetite lately, and I'm attributing it to spring. But where you are, it's warm all year(?). If so, the increased warmth as spring and summer approaches could be the reason for the increased appetites.

Do you have any cuttlebone you could put in the tank? Adding some plant matter to the tank if you're not doing so would be good as well.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to General Care Discussion