General Care Discussion :: Are turtles supposed to eat this?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:50 pm   Are turtles supposed to eat this?

This morning I put a new Dr. Turtle in the tank after the morning feeding time. I returned half an hour later to find that the Dr. Turtle was eaten to the size of a nickel, and the turtles were still chewing on it. :o Is being eaten the purpose of this Dr. Turtle thing? I thought it was made to be gradually dissolved in water. If it is eaten accidentaly, will it cause any harm to my turtles? Should I discontinue use if the only thing this Dr. Turtle achieves is being eaten?
-Daniel-
DanielRES1180

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:21 pm   

I've heard Dr.Turtle is useless. I could be wrong. I do know it's not harmful if eaten. Try giving your turts cuttlebone for calcium instead. Just take the hard backing off first. Mine love it.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:43 pm   

I've also used the Tetra ones for salmonella. Is it the same issue with these are they useless. Can they harm turtles if eaten?
-Daniel-
DanielRES1180

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:35 pm   

They won't harm your turtles (I doubt the mfgrs would sell a product that they could be found liable for).

That said, they won't protect against salmonella, and the form of calcium they contain isn't even one that's really useable by your turtles. Also, many of them contain sulfa, which is really a drug, long term use of which will build resistance to it (just like when people use antibacterial products all the time). I'd put my money into something else rather than products like those.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:53 pm   

I might as well use cuttlebone as jenaero said. But what can I use in the place of the Tetra one for salmonella?
-Daniel-
DanielRES1180

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:56 pm   

Nothing. Keep your turtles healthy with a good diet and habitat that has clean water. (Salmonella bacteria is shed from their intestines in times of stress/illness.) Wash your hands after handling them and their things. If you do these two things, your turtles and you shouldn't have any problems. :)
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:06 pm   

Pretty simple. :D
-Daniel-
DanielRES1180

Return to General Care Discussion