General Care Discussion :: Do turtles have more fun with other turtles around?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:13 pm   Do turtles have more fun with other turtles around?

I was just wondering ever since I got two additional turtles back in August (the first turtle was purchased in July) and it has just occured to me to ask that one question that has perplexed me ever since. :roll:
It all started when I got one turtle at the mall. After a few weeks and an incident where my sister dumped the whole bottle of ReptoMin in the "death bowl" I had it in, my mother thought it was lonely, so she purchased two other turtles to accomodate the turtle.
I really wonder if turtles have more fun with other turtles. Do they?
Last edited by DanielRES1180 on Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Daniel-
DanielRES1180

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:35 pm   

Turtles do have more fun with other turtles around but if u get another turtle you should get a bigger tank to fit it unless you already had a big enough tank in the first place. If your turtle had a "friend" living with it and then it died it definatly needs a replacement "friend" but still ur turtle might act wierd. im sorry if i misunderstood the question but it would be cruel to lose a lifetime friend and live alone forever since
If ur pet seems sad and u dont
u shouldnt own that pet in the first place
plzHELP

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:16 am   

Turtles do not need other turtles around.. they are basically solitary creatures only coming together for basking or mating.

You do need a larger tank and equipment for more than one turtle.. for every inch of shell length you need 10 gallons of space. If you have one 5" turtle you need a 50 gallon tank, with 2, you need a 100 gallon tank. Keep that in mind when you buy mulitple turtles. Another risk is of the turtles not getting along and getting aggressive, which would mean you'd need to get separate tanks for all turtles.

Also, I hope that by now you realize that the death bowl isn't a good thing and have upgraded your tank to something big enough to hold all 3 turtles.. which means at least a 30 gallon tank if they are all 1".
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:06 pm   

I have been woundering that same question myself... Do they need or like companionship? I have one now and was thinking about getting another one to keep in company. Do they really care???
anikan

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:05 pm   

Like Carol said, when you get more than one turtle, you run the risk of aggression, and seperation. That means not one but two tanks, UVB lights, filters, heaters, etc. Imagine the cost you have accumulated on one turtle and multiply it by two. Unlike cats or dogs, the cost is really double. Except for food, there is no sharing.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:01 pm   

Well, I knew of the stories I've heard here and there in other turtle websites of the woes of having to separate turtles because they don't get along. I was well aware of the cons of having multiple turtles, but I wanted to see the other side of the issue to see if turtles could also have fun with other turtles.
Personally, my turtles would care less if I took the other ones out. Probably the only time they care about the other turtles around is feeding time, when rarely there is a quarrel over who gets the food stick. :lol:
-Daniel-
DanielRES1180

Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:59 am   

well i heard turtles fight with their fellow turtles wen they grow up even if they got along as lil babies. Personally I think my turtle is lonely but on the other hand, he has his mansion all to himself and food all to himself. He's spoiled rotten.
lazixixi

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:32 pm   

Turtles are very solitary creatures, but my turtles have been together since they were about less than three or four weeks old and seemingly enjoy each other's company.

They won't really eat without one another in the tank, and they really enjoy resting together on plants. Neither do they seem to be apart much. If the male goes to one side of the tank, the female will float right over there, and vice-versa. They'll just occasionally quarrel over pellets, maybe.

May 28, 2006
Daemon: Male, 4.2'' - Date Adopted: 06.25.05
Sayre: Female, 5.11'' - Date Adopted: 07.01.05
PaperFeathers

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:08 pm   

Well I got the first turtle in the mall all complete with the infamous death bowl, but it has had the company of the later turtles as early as one or two weeks after we bought it. Exept these came in a plastic bag as little fish would (I'm not sure if that's a :lol: or a :x ).
-Daniel-
DanielRES1180

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:56 am   

Orginally..I had 2 turtles...then one died, and a few months later my mom broght home some company..so now i have 2 again.
I watch them closely everyday. They seem to get along pretty good, my original turtle just turned 1 (Fry) and the newbie (bug) is maybe 10 months.
Bug is always pestering Fry, jumping on him in the water and following him around EVERYWHERE. Sometimes Fry gets fed up and snaps...but everytime he snaps he pulls back at the same time..so it doesn't affect bug at all.
I also notice that Bug will get all up in Fry's face....just stare at him. For awhile Fry will just look at him and not be bothered...but after awhile..he get peeved and swaps after him with a leg.

If i separate them for even a lil bit....they get anxious until they see each other again...but still i have to wonder.

Am i wrong in thinking that sooner or later i am going to have to separate them?
Sakki

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:37 am   

I have two as well, and I wonder that all the time. Right now all you can do is watch them carefully. Mine only seem to get peevish with the others when they both have to have the same carrot...and there are twently laying at the bottom. Mine follow each other all over the tank as well, but I don't notice one getting mad at the other for it. I remember reading in another post where you were going to be getting a larger set up ( I think that was you) and that will help them each have more of their own space.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:50 pm   

Hm... I had one turtle and when I got the other my first really seemed to like the company. I think they would mind if I seperated them now because they do everything together. I don't know that that means ALL turtles would like a "friend" but I do know that I had two sick turtles who loved being put together and I do honestly believe it helped with their overall health.
Taking the possible cost of seperate tanks and equipment into consideration, I do think that getting multiple turtles is actually a good idea.
Bobbi-RES 3.5 inches
Squirt-RES 2.5 inches
Cubbie- Cat
sarah

Return to General Care Discussion