General Care Discussion :: Need Help

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:33 pm   Need Help

Well my RES is a bady and i have UVB lights in the aquarium and he nevers opens his eyes under the UVB, but it does when i take it out 2 play with or put in the sun. And also can u help me with he doesn't eat but the temprature is all in set to standard tempratures.

Thank You

PR- Please Reply
harendre7201

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:05 pm   

Think of it this way: Can you look directly into a lightbulb less than a foot from your face? Nope. Your eyes sting, because the eye is one of the most, if not the most, sensitive area of the body, aside from the skin.

Outdoors, though, the baby does not look directly into the sun, thus, he can open his or her eyes freely.

As well, this is a baby you have, so its much more sensitive to light, touch, temperature, etc. than an older RES.

With the eating, assuming you have the water at a good height for the turtle to eat in since they can't eat out of water, maybe he just doesn't like the food or isn't getting enough light. If you put him out in the sun in a kiddie pool, the turtle will most likely liven up.

How big is your tank? In inches, how big is your turtle? What temperature do you have that water? How long have you had the turtle? The water cannot be under 78 degrees F for a hatchling turtle.

When I first got my RES, he took some time to adapt to his environment. When he came to trust it, then he began eating. This was about two days later when he developed a good appetite. Turtles can live up to two weeks without eating, but if they are hatchlings, that's obviously not very healthy.

May 28, 2006
Daemon: Male, 4.2'' - Date Adopted: 06.25.05
Sayre: Female, 5.11'' - Date Adopted: 07.01.05
PaperFeathers

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:58 pm   

well my tank is aa 10 gallon
it is at 85 degrees F
about 3 months
harendre7201

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:43 am   

is that your basking temp or water temp? Water temp should be right about 78 degrees for your hatchling. 10 degrees higher for the basking temp.

What are you feeding your turt?
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:33 am   

well i am feeding it freeze dried plankton
i am going to start feeding it fruits and vegetables
harendre7201

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:36 am   

Do you feed your turtle any pellets? Fruits should be considered a treat not a daily or even weekly food.

How big is your turtle? Also as missibu said, the water temp should be in the high 70s, with the basking temp about 10 degrees or so warmer.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:15 pm   

Look for Reptomin Baby pellets for your hatchling. They're sized for smaller turtles and have a bit more calcium in them than regular Reptomin. It would bring a lot more balance to your turtle's diet. Feed an amount that would fit into the head once daily.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to General Care Discussion