General Care Discussion :: Got a question while cleaning the tank

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:32 pm   Got a question while cleaning the tank

Ok, I hope this gets answered by the time I finish cleaning the tank (that'll be in about three hours... :cry: :shock: ) But what I noticed before I started was that on the right side of the filter (it's a tetra Whisper) the right one has algae coming out of it and it's trying to clog my filter. It's done this before and I just gave it a good scrub under some scalding hot water, but that didn't seem to do it. Any ideas on how to get it to go away? I know it has to do with the spongy type of pad inside the filter as all you do is rinse it and tahdah you can reuse it. But I also scrub it really well with a baby bottle brush.

So how can I get that algae to go away? Any help would be appreciated.
She is mine and I shall call her Michelangelo!
daredevilgirl013

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:46 pm   

There are products out there that are supposed to help control the algae, however, if your tank is high in nitrates and has a light source, it will always come back.
Giddy

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:48 pm   

Yeah but it is only on the right side of the filter where the water comes out aka the two water falls. The left side is fine. It filters the same water but the left side is clear and fine. The right side has algae.

And I'm still cleaning the tank..finally got all the water out and most of the critters caught. A few guppies will die as I can't catch them and can't waste three more hours to do so.
She is mine and I shall call her Michelangelo!
daredevilgirl013

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:09 pm   

Does the light hit more on one side than the other?
Giddy

Return to General Care Discussion