General Care Discussion :: Brushing algae off a turtle's shell - Does it really help?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:09 am   Brushing algae off a turtle's shell - Does it really help?

Every once in a while after the morning's feeding time, I take each turtle and brush off the "algae" on the turtle's shell whenever it feels slippery.
One site recommended this, supposedly to reduce the chance of shell rot and other diseases. After a while I really wondered if it really does help because it seems the turtles wince every time I brush.

Does it really help?
-Daniel-
DanielRES1180

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:18 pm   

Algae on the shell is green, and the brush would have some green on it after you brushed them (you are using a really soft brush and being gentle, I hope. The seam/lines in between the scutes are especially sensitive, so you should take special care if you're cleaning them).

If there's no green, the slippery feeling on the shell is likely a thin film of bacteria, which is good to remove. I use a piece of old towel to wipe down my RES occasionally (I don't use a brush). I know I'm not hurting him, but he still hates to have me do it.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:24 am   

Assuming you're being very gentle and using a soft brush, maybe your turt is just wincing b/c he sees your movement.
I usually just rub him with my fingers under running water until he doesn't feel slimy anymore.
fishandcandy

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:40 am   

It is good to brush off algae, because it can cover up an infection if one begins. I use a soft toothbrush to srub it off of my turtle. No, he doesn't like it, but it is not hurting him.
I used to be a reptile expert. Now I'm just an old turtle lover.
reptilegrrl

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:23 pm   

Well it seems I don't brush as hard, especially considering I use one of the new bushes from the dentist's office. But as marisa said, some parts of the shell are sensitive, so I might as well switch to a rag or take care around the scutes. As I said I don't brush the shell as hard as to harm them, but they wince a bit, and sometimes they get angry so I let them take out their anger on the brush at times :) (sanitarily of course).
-Daniel-
DanielRES1180

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:07 pm   

A microfiber cloth would probably softer and more absorbent for wipe-downs.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:09 pm   

Do you mean like the cloth ones used to clean cars?
-Daniel-
DanielRES1180

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:44 pm   

I posted a response to this but it never showed up...oh well.

DanielRes1180, all the the shell has sensitivity, but especially the areas of new growth (the seam). I use a piece of cotton towel kept just for this purpose, which is washed as needed. I've also read it better to move in the direction the scute is going, not horizontally over it (hope that makes sense).
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:44 am   

Okay guys, thanks for the advice.
-Daniel-
DanielRES1180

Return to General Care Discussion