General Care Discussion :: white spots on shell

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:25 pm   white spots on shell

yesterday i noticed one of my turtles has some white spots on the shell, but its not soft, they sort of look like bubbles, i dont know what they are, im afraid they might be some serious illness, ive read thru the health section and i dont know if it could be scute shedding, actually i dont know what scute is since english isnt my first language.

by the way the turtle is eating normally and is active as usual. i dont have a uv light though and im aware i need to have one for proper calcium metabolism, im getting it this weekend. ill try to take some pictures of my turtles condition and post them here.

thanks for your help,

martin
mrodrigo

Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:18 pm   

It is possible that what you are seeing are air bubbles under the scute caused by the fact that the turtle is shedding and air has gotten under the scute.

A scute is the individual pieces of shell. You can check out this post for a more detailed explaination of the anatomy of a turtle... :)

Turtle Anatomy
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:19 am   pictures of white spots

i have no web page or blog, is there any other way i can show you the pictures i took? thanks

martin
mrodrigo

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:46 am   

Giddy

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:06 pm   pictures of white spots

mrodrigo

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:13 pm   

It looks like your turtle is getting ready to shed some scutes. :) Make sure s/he has ample opportunity to basking under proper lighting.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to General Care Discussion