General Care Discussion :: white stuff on the top of turtle's shell

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:01 am   white stuff on the top of turtle's shell

I noticed that my turtle has white stuff on the top of his shell, not on his scutes or anything but just on top of his shell. I thought that it was a sign of growth, but he has showed no signs of growth at all. Could the white stuff be a sign of shell rotting? I'm confused.
lazixixi

Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:15 am   

Can you show a picture?
Giddy

Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:00 pm   

Does this white stuff appear when the turtle is wet or dry? Is there any smell to the area? Is the area soft?

If you could post a picture, it would help tremendously.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:02 pm   

The top of his shell would be a layer of scutes...Do you mean white in the lines in between the scutes? If not, is the white actually on the scute or part of the scute? Is the area where it's white soft at all? Does it smell at all?

If you can't post a pic of the shell dry, go to http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/medshell.htm and look at the pictures of shell rot. (Check out other shell problems as well just in case.) Does your turtle's shell look anything like that?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:20 pm   

ok well I took Giddy's avatar and edited it to show wut it kinda looks like for my turtle cuz they're about the same size. I'll try to post an exact picture wen I find my camera. But um there is not white in the lines b/t the scutes and it looks like the white stuff is apart of his shell, becuase I can't scrap it off. The white stuff only appears when he's basking. His shell is perfectly hard and not smelly.

EDIT.... I for got to put the edited pic.

lazixixi

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:22 pm   

now my smaller turtle, when he/she basks, the vertebrae part of her shell will kind of look "foggy." but the spot is hard like the rest of the shell. i'm just wondering if it may be where she is going to start shedding her scutes soon. i don't know, but it's in the same location as the picture that lasixixi illustrated. but the rest of the shell is normal, doesn't smell, and is not soft.
2 RES:
Dana- 3"
Mercedes- 3"
khobbs

Return to General Care Discussion