General Care Discussion :: turtle growth relative to tank size?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:24 pm   

enough fighting, everyone needs to stop, we are here to help people, not to fight
Elliott
ellman605

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:14 am   Re: turtle growth relative to tank size?

I'm just using a 1 gallon tank for my two sliders ,is it ok for them
Tatakiran

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:27 am   Re: turtle growth relative to tank size?

What size are they?
This is just me and what I do. I'm on a very fixed income ,retired! I can not keep up with all the upgrades that will happen in time , the cost! I have found it cheaper to setup one tank for the adult size it will get. That is if you can bite the bullet today. Turtles are not a cheap pet. There are ways to save money on a correct habitat. I use 150 gallon Rubbermaid horse tubs even for ONE baby RES just with 2"-3" of water and as it grows add water. A good 150 gallon glass tank can cost $500 compared to a Rubbermaid horse tub at $80 and will last a life time. Sliders are great swimmers and love it as much as basking. By the time it would be 2"-3" I have them in 25" of water and they love it. I have plenty of resting areas if ever needed. I know I would not be happy living in a small closet. The way sliders grow ... fast! I am in this for the long haul , my Piggley is in my will but My daughter already said she will care for him when I'm gone. They live a long time when happy and healthy! If very small babies I would at least to me have them in 10 gallon with 2" of water and that would give you some time until next upgrade. Today a 20 gallon long would buy you more time and only cost a little more than a 10 gallon when on sale. Could always buy used. Adjust the water as they grow. A final upgrade will not come until you know there sex's. This is my way that works for me! Doing this since 1961 and love it ! Could work for others , it's your call.
You are making an animal live in a captive environment , it's your reasonability to make it happy and healthy.
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:33 am   Re: turtle growth relative to tank size?

I'm only going to respond to the facts that I know due to having to Res turtles both from the same hatch but growing totally two different speeds, I had named him Harold and Gabby not knowing the sex ( i'm pretty sure now that Harold is Gabby and Gabby is Harold ). Harold ended up growing triple the size of Gabby did by six months old, I had them both in a 10 gallon aquarium together unfortunately Harold continued to grow fast so he was adopted out to a wonderful family with a great Pond and Gabby is still remaining at about 2-2 1/2 inches in shell length and seems to be holding that size now that she's seven months .. in my opinion I don't think the size of the tank matters, I think it's true when they say all turtles grow different sizes' just like we as humans grow to be different heights and weights. Just my thoughts of course
SeaTurtleGirl72

Previous

Return to General Care Discussion