General Care Discussion :: heat light at night?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:35 am   heat light at night?

Do turtles need like some kind of infared heat light on at night? I know at night, the temp around their basking area is a little cooler than the water temp. I didn't know if they need heat at night too.
2 RES:
Dana- 3"
Mercedes- 3"
khobbs

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:23 pm   

No. They only need the heated basking area during the day. Just remember you are replacing what they would normally have in nature.
Spookster

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:04 pm   

I use one only because the room the turts are in is pitch black. I've noticed that some of them like to bask under the night light too. It's really not needed, but that's just the way I am :-)
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:45 pm   

well the temp around their basking area gets down to about 70. And our room is pitch black also. I just thought it would be a little cool for them.
2 RES:
Dana- 3"
Mercedes- 3"
khobbs

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:40 pm   

My turtles' temp in their tanks drops about 5 degrees at night. I used to use a red heat light to warm the ambient air at night, and I still use them for newly-hatched turtles. The red heat lights do not interfere with their sleep cycles. A slight drop in the temp at night is normal, and certainly occurs in the wild.

What I will do to keep more warmth in the tanks at night is to cover a good portion of them with plexiglass (cardboard works too). Doing so help keeps the heat created by the submersible water heater from leaving the tank and will keep the ambient air warmer.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:12 pm   

marisa wrote:What I will do to keep more warmth in the tanks at night is to cover a good portion of them with plexiglass (cardboard works too). Doing so help keeps the heat created by the submersible water heater from leaving the tank and will keep the ambient air warmer.

That's probably why my tank temp stays constant and never flucuates. My above tank basking area completely covers the left opening and I have a glass panel top covering the right opening so the heat stays in. Plus I have a submersible heater on both ends so it helps to maintain the temperature.
Spookster

Return to General Care Discussion