General Care Discussion :: want a new res!

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:06 pm   want a new res!

Hi All,

Got a little question. I have about a 5" res "tippy" who is very active and happy. If i adopt a baby res, will they get along and not be harmed? Will Tippy mind?

Thanks in advance for your answers,
Scoot

Here some PICS, hope I did it right!

Image[/img]
PSU Tippy

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:21 pm   

Let me try again! Sorry newbie to this stuff.

PSU Tippy

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:55 pm   

Nice-looking turtle--what's the shell length not including the curve?. A hatchling should be kept separate from a turtle much larger in size until it's more the size of the larger turtle (you need two set-ups). If you got a turtle about the same size as your RES, you ideally should quarantine it for at least 90 days to make sure it doesn't have anything your turtle could catch. A vet visit for a check-up would be nice, too.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:09 pm   

Thanks for your answer, he is 4 1/2 inches. I guess I wont be getting one :cry: One tank is hard enough, Plus the $$$$ i spent already. Not doing the best of research i bought a turtle tank that had the notch on the side where i only could fill the tank about 1/3 of the way. but after reading the boards, I saw everyone saying fill as high as possible. Since I bought the full size tank Tippy is tens times more active. This site is awesome, glad my google search found it!!!!
PSU Tippy

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:20 pm   

Thanks for sharing your pics with us. Very nice looking set-up and turtle! :D

Be careful with the smaller rocks in the tank, though. If they are smaller than your turtles mouth they can be ingested and if not passed the turtle can become impacted. Impaction can lead to serious injury or even death. Also, many owners have found that the tank is much easier to clean without the small rocks covering the bottom. :)
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Return to General Care Discussion