General Care Discussion :: Do your turtles greet you and follow when you walk by?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:11 pm   Do your turtles greet you and follow when you walk by?

I have been noticing that my RES's swim up to the side of the tank closest to me when I open the front door. If I walk up to the tank they will come to the top of the water and look at me. When I walk by they will follow me for the length of the tank.

Its pretty cute.
Mobat555

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:13 pm   

You are Mr. Food to them. :)
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:15 pm   

They are professional beggars.
Spookster

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:19 pm   

Exactly what the above said! :D Koopa does this when he sees us walk through, but even more so when my husband walks by. I guess you can tell who spoils him. ;)
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:45 pm   

Sometimes I tell Veronica that I am not a piece of meat and she can stop staring at me and swimming all cute like. :)
buffyfan9005

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:50 pm   

I wish mine did. Instead he runs and hides.
She is mine and I shall call her Michelangelo!
daredevilgirl013

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:05 pm   

they both want the big walking pink meat.
Elliott
ellman605

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:25 am   

awwwwwwww your turtles are soooooo cute. Mine only comes near the tank I think if he wants a grape or something, other wise, I have to beg him to eat...
lazixixi

Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:01 am   

We just got our turtles from a friend and the U-Two is forever begging to come out and play. We don't let him bec we also have a cat, a dog, and a toddler. Too many dangers! He mainly begs when she sees me in the room.

So far I haven't seen them begging for food much. I've had a box turtle in the past and DH had a snapper as a kid so we're used to the begging for attention.

U-Two, the larger maile, has plenty of out water area to climb on...she just wants the company of us. So He digs at the glass and splashs around. Very comical. Me-Too, the smaller male, doesn't seem to care much where he is, so long as he's safe and fed and happy.

I know it has to do with me, because if anyone else comes into the room, they are usually ignored.
Last edited by LadyRachelLynn on Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyRachelLynn

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:16 am   

Mine would run and hide when I had them in a giant container from walmart.

My aunt just gave me a 75 gallon tank....Pain in the butt to clean!!!

But anyway, now that they are in there, they swim to the edge and want to see whats going on.
bill1082

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:14 pm   

marisa wrote:You are Mr. Food to them. :)
cbk

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:41 am   

not only my turtle is good at begging, you can tell how exciting he is depend on what food I'm holding.(I guess he can recognize different colors?), such as when I hold out food stick bottle(it's green), he would swim on the surface of the water so excited and splash water everywhere like crazy(so cute), and if I hold out water conditioner, he will just follow around it but he won't splash water water around(not that I feed him water conditioner), and if it's shrimp bottle(black lid), he is somewhat excited, I think it's so neat how turtle can tell differences.... :wink:
Pineapple the turtle- pronuced "Ong-lai", meaning"bringing happiness to the family" in my language
8 year-old, 4"

Cheeky the hamster- 1 year 5 month-old, 6 inches
RESCHIU

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:22 pm   

Yes, they can see different colors and often have preferences for certain ones. :)
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to General Care Discussion