General Care Discussion :: Any ideas to improve turtle's overall appearance?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:22 am   Any ideas to improve turtle's overall appearance?

Hi guys,

I was thinking of ways to improve turtle's overall appearance

As in, to retain it's shining skin and smooth carapace texture; and to have beautiful shiny eyes.

They have beautiful bright eyes. I hope it can stay that way.

Basically Im thinking of focusing on its diet.

I feed the turtles with dried shrimps, pellets, carrot slices; once in a while, raw fish slices.

Apart from it's basking routines, im thinking of soaking them in carrot slices solutions? LOL.

My grandma suggested to soak them in MILK. LOL.

MILK sounds very out of the way. It applies for human, but not for reptiles i guess.

Any suggestions?

=)
malloc

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:03 am   

I think that giving them proper care and keeping them healthy is going to do more for them than carrot solution...
fishandcandy

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:22 am   

Yes, you should be focusing on their diet as part of this. It doesn't sound like a balanced healthy diet as it is now. The dried shrimp, fish etc are high in protein so they should only be offered occasionally (once a month), the pellets should be the staple of the diet with a variety of veggies offered daily. Offer them more leafy greens such as romaine lettuce, green or red leaf lettuce, dandelion greens etc. Carrots shouldn't be offered more than once-twice a week. They have a high sugar content. Zucchini, pumpkin, and squash are also good to offer them.

Other than their diet, insuring that their habitat is correctly set-up is very important to their health. The correct water/basking temps, a good filter etc will help keep them healthy.

All turtles colors will tend to fade as they grow, this is natural. Some darken almost to a black shell while others have various shades of brown as mature RES. I've read that rarely a mature RES will retain some green in it's shell. I'd focus on keeping them healthy as that should be your goal as their keeper. :)
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:40 pm   

A balanced, varied diet (including leafy green plant matter), basking under proper lighting (UVB light and a heat light) at a good temp, clean water in the correct temp range... You know, all the basics. And don't overfeed.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to General Care Discussion