General Care Discussion :: how do i know if my turtle is pregnant?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:29 am   how do i know if my turtle is pregnant?

i have 2 turtles, 1 male and 1 female, ive noticed that lately the male tries the mating ritual described here (claws vibrating in front of female) quite often, i also read that if the female gets pregnant and she's unable to lay the eggs its necessary to take her to a vet and get an injection, how do i know if my turtle's pregnant? thanks guys

martin
mrodrigo

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:02 pm   

Female turtles will lay eggs with or without a male present. There must be a nesting area where your female turtle can get to without trouble if you own a female turtle that is mature or there will be health trouble should she retain her eggs (fertilized or non-fertilized). Here's a website that discusses how to build a suitable nesting area:

Tortoise Trust
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:04 pm   

How big are your turtles? (Shell lengths without the curve of the shells)
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:16 pm   

ah, i didnt know that female turtles would lay non-fertilized eggs. the male turtle is 3.25" long and the female turtle is 3.5" long, should i worry about the female turtle laying eggs now?

I took a quick look at that nesting site and it sure is a time investing process, ill have to figure something out. thanks for your help

martin
mrodrigo

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:19 pm   

How old are your turtles? They may not be sexually mature.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:21 pm   

Male sliders become sexually mature when they are between 2-5 years old and are about 4 inches long. Females will take longer to mature, reaching maturity when they are 5-7 years old and 6-7.5 inches long. It looks like it will be a little while before you have to worry about the nesting area.

Are you sure they are male and female respectively? Usually it isn't until they are 4 inches or more that you can tell what gender they are. Up until that time, I've heard that they can still do a lot of changing in appearance.
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:52 pm   

i think they are about 1.5 years old, the one i think is the male has longer claws on its front legs and a considerably longer tail compared to the one i think is the female turtle
mrodrigo

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:58 pm   

the measurement i gave you earlier was length, does width matter?
mrodrigo

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:09 pm   

Sounds like your turtles are a little young. Our female was a good 7 inches long before she laid her eggs and 4 years old.
RES Tampa

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:51 pm   

I think you have a little while to wait for eggs. :)
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:45 am   

I have 2 turts..both supposedly females (but told both were males when I got them...I'm agreeing with these guys here they are both females)
Bob is 14 yrs old and 7" big.
Sheldon is 2 yrs old and 7" big.
Neither have shown an interest in breeding, egg laying or anything.
Should I be worried now?
Holly
My Zoo:
2 RES's - Bob and Sheldon
1 Painted - Red Firebelly
3 Dogs
1 Cat
1 Green Iguana
2 Rabbits
5 Kids
birdlady

Return to General Care Discussion