General Care Discussion :: Michelangelo is shedding..got a few questions

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:20 pm   Michelangelo is shedding..got a few questions

Ok Michelangelo is officially shedding! But he is shedding around his neck area first. Is that normal?

Also his shell look like it's about to burst if it doesn't shed soon. I can tell he's about to because his old scutes are starting to get smaller compared to the new ones as his shell patterns are not matching anymore and I can also see where the lines around his scutes are getting much much lighter. Is there any way I can help out with the shedding especially around his neck area? Just wondering as I saw him swimming around with skin hanging off of his neck and I just wanted to go in there and get rid of it but I didn't as I figured he could take it off with his claws if he wanted to.
She is mine and I shall call her Michelangelo!
daredevilgirl013

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:06 pm   

I wouldn't try and do anything to help it along. Mine still have really old scutes that look like they're about to pop off but I won't touch them for fear of doing damage. I've noticed that mine will scratch at any loose skin to help it too. As long as all temps/conditions are optimal, leave him be :-)
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:35 pm   

For the skin shedding, you could try some aquarium salt baths. It won't hurt, and is more likely to help (the shell as well).
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to General Care Discussion