General Care Discussion :: What is up with this turt

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:01 pm   What is up with this turt

Ok guys I have been on a quest to change around my turts tank so that it was more apporpriate. I added a fake plant to the tank yesterday and now the larger turtle keeps sticking himself under it. He is like trying to uproot it or something but not being too successful as it is suction cupped to the bottom of the tank. What is he trying to do with this plant??
Father of 2 RES: hank & lily
mikedpirone

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:09 pm   

he's trying to dig it up maybe he dont like it. I have a fully furnished tank and they dig all the time, I have good sized river rock..they're strong little boogers.
Buslady of SoCal
1.1.0 Rhinoclemmys Pulchrrima Manni: Donatello, Jessie, Steve, Leo, Bender + 2 more eggs to hatch
2.2.0 Trachemys Scripta Elegans: Mike,Raph; For adopton: Tokka, Casey
1.0.0 Ninjemys Chelonia Raffaello: Raphael ;-)
Buslady

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:40 pm   

I've heard of several turtles on here that try to uproot plants or redecorate their tank to their taste. Maybe after he realizes he can't move it, he'll give up. My Koopa has never done this, so it must be a personality thing. :D
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:20 pm   

My turtles do that all the time, redecorating that is. Move the heater, the rocks, the fake log.. plants. you name it. The only thing they've not tried to move is the basking dock because they can't. Heck I can barely get the thing off the wall of the tank.. It's normal for them to do it, keeps them occupied.. :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:28 pm   

well i think i figured out what he is trying to do. aparently he will keep pushing it from the bottom until he wedges himself underneath it and just hangs out there for a while. he does the same thing with the dock. he wedges himself between the holder and the tank wall and just hangs out.
mikedpirone

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:31 pm   

oh good it is good to see that my turts not the only that wedges himself between the floating dock and glass and hangs out, does he also try to swim between the glass and bracket that has suckion cups on it? Tortuga does and gets mad that he can't get through LOL
1 RES (baby) Tortuga
I am Tortuga's slave :)
Az^FolkSinger

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:44 pm   

lol yeah the larger one does that all the time...i thought he was just a wierdo
mikedpirone

Return to General Care Discussion