General Care Discussion :: 2 RES together what do you think pros and cons

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

How many turtles on one tank

Poll ended at Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:31 pm

30%
60%
10%
4 or more
No votes

Total votes : 10

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:31 pm   2 RES together what do you think pros and cons

The vet said i should keep my 2 baby RES apart in seperate tanks.I want honest opinions from both sides. I mean lets be honest it is expensive enough for one tank and eventually i am going to be upgrading to 30 to 60 to 100 gallon tank and i am supposed to have 2 of them according to the vet. I mean we are not suppose to eat red meat as humans but oh well...you know. But i just want to hear about some experiences you have had with having more then one turtles together the pros and cons
joem1481

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:39 pm   

You always have to keep in mind that you might have to separate them later in life even if you are able to leave them together now, due to aggression or the fact that they just aren't compatible with each other(each turtle has its own personality).

I think in this case what the vet said is correct. You have one that isn't as well as the other and needs a little extra TLC. It would be best to separate them.
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:48 pm   

so far, my 2 have seemed fine, i havent seen any aggression yet, i'm glad, the only thing i notice is how they play follow the leader a lot, other than that, they eat their fair share, never fight, take turns basking, but thats only the time i'm at home :)
Elliott
ellman605

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:00 pm   

Well considering the natural environment of a RES is in a pond or lake, a 30 gallon tank definitely isn't what they should be in.. and if you go by the 10 gallon rule .. and your female is 12" .. that's a 120 gallon tank. This is the very reason why it's recommended that you do NOT get more than one turtle.

Sometimes whether you can keep them together is not a choice you make but they make for you as sonyj stated. They just may not get along and for the health and safety of one or the other turtle, you'll have to put them in separate environments. See, we don't say this stuff for no reason :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:38 pm   

Think about it this way. If you were cooped up in a 30 gallon (or whatever size) tank with another human would you like them very much? Esp. when your natural habitat was bigger and you weren't cramped up with another turtle all the time.

But also, I think turtles are very social little creatures so I kind of see the reasoning as to why there should be no problem with two turtles. I think if you have the biggest size habitat for them that you can afford to have and they get along then that's great. Having two turtles together isn't a bad thing at all.

But just be prepared if for some reason your turtles aren't as great and happy as ellman605's are and you have to move them to separate habitats.

You're braver than I am. I won't get my turtle a friend based on the fact that my wallet just couldn't take that kind of blow.
buffyfan9005

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:51 pm   

I'm keeping mine together unless they start fighting. As long as one's not sick and the habitat is big enough, might as well keep them together while you can.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:19 am   

thanks yeah the vet said he is really does not seem sick except ve me medication for. He said for a baby res he actually looks really good. I am going to put him in this plastic tub just to feed him to see if he will eat. He was not eating but now i cant tell because there is 2 RES in the tank. But the vet said all and all he is ok he wanted me to seperate him anyway not only for the facthe wants them seperated perminetly but he was like if he has a disease i dont know about then he could spread it but i cant afford another tank so i will just keep an eye on them
joem1481

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:22 am   

You can always use a large rubbermaid/sterlite container.. they are inexpensive. But you still need all the rest of the equipment. The lights/heater/filter and dock for a separate environment. If you buy something large enough that he can grow into it will save you money in the long run.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:54 pm   

yeah i mean i can get a bigger tank form a frind of mine it is the equipment needed for the tamk and a stand
joem1481

Return to General Care Discussion