General Care Discussion :: light question

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:29 pm   light question

Ok with my lights, will they burn out like normal light bulbs when they need to be changed? Or will they get dim or something? I'm just wondering so that I know if I need to go by the hours they have been on or if when they go out it means change me!
She is mine and I shall call her Michelangelo!
daredevilgirl013

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:21 pm   

I've had some burn out way before the package said they would but you can't really go by that. I also have some bulbs over a year old that still work so there ya go. The uvb I'm told should be changed every 6 months.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:43 pm   

Are we talking about UVB bulbs? They will still give off light like before but after 6-8 months they will not produce very much UVB. UVB is invisible and the special coating in that bulb burns off.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:45 pm   

Both of the bulbs actually. Since I don't use a regular light bulb for anything.
daredevilgirl013

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:16 am   

What bulbs are you using then?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:54 am   

A 20 watt Super UV Coil Lamp and a 100 watt exo-terra day glo neodymium

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_ ... 8193586288

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_ ... 7995183612

those two bulbs above.
daredevilgirl013

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:01 am   

The 100watt Day Glo bulb will burn out when it needs replacing. The uvb bulb won't :-)
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:47 am   

Ok I'm trying to figure out when I bought it, I think it was close to October as in September and August I just took Michelangelo outside as much as I could till it started to get cold so I think I've got a little ways still on the uvb light.
daredevilgirl013

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:54 pm   

The Day-glo will just burn out one day (then, you could just use a lightbulb for the heat :)). The ESU will work, but won't seem as bright (at least not to me) with continued use. If you look at the bulb when it's not lit and compare it to a new one, it will have a grayish cast to it. It's best to just replace it after 6 months. I actually mark the date a UVB bulb is put into use on the base of the bulb (the Reptisun compact flourescent has a place for you to write it on the base).
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to General Care Discussion