General Care Discussion :: my little baby RES

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:16 am   my little baby RES

I just have one little baby res in my boarding house. This baby RES i put on a basket. I have question, this little RES doesnt eat much (I have just bought it 3 days ago). I worried about its appetite. I gave pellet 2x (in morning and afternoon after I going back home).

and currently, this little baby RES love to sleep underwater. Shall I put him on dry basket instead on full water basking ? because when i bought him, the pet store put him on dry land not on water while I put on water everyday.

Is he okay ?

thx
-- regards
adwin
nightingale2k1

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:31 am   

A basket?

Ok first off you need a tank, a fish tank. The rule is 10 gallons per inch of shell. So since you say it's a baby it's probably an inch long so get a 10 gallon tank or bigger (the bigger the less upgrades)

Here's what you will need for the tank

Basking Dock
Filter 3xs the gallons of the tank (example 10 gallon tank = 30 gallon tank filter)
UVA Bulb
UVB Bulb
Underwater Heater
Plants (live and fake ones)
Vegetables
Cuttlebone

Ok now for your baby's issues. 1.Turtles are aquatic animals for the most part, they live the water. If you get a tank fill it up 3/4 of the way so that the turtle cannot get out. The more water the better as they love to swim.

2. Temparetures, you need the lights and the heater to create metabolism in your turtle and make it active which may be your main problem right now. Temps are listed in the RES basic care for a baby res and for basking.

3. Res eat in the water as they have no saliva, plus they also have to go to the bathroom in the water. No water=no turtle.

4.Sleeping under water is ok, they can hold their breath for a long time actually when sleeping.

5. Your turtle is brand new, it may take it a while to eat a few things but offer it some veggies, cuttlebone and the hatchling pellets.
She is mine and I shall call her Michelangelo!
daredevilgirl013

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:47 pm   

What kind of turtle do you have?? Do you know? Different turtles have different needs. If you're absolutely positive it's a Red-eared Slider.. read through the forum and website for how to handle and properly care for your turtle.

Start here.. Red-ear Slider Index
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Return to General Care Discussion