General Care Discussion :: help!

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:24 pm   help!

the little turtle i rescued can't open one of his eyes now...the one looks really swollen and like it almost has some kind of covering over it, what is it??? could he have gotten poked by my other turtle or run into something or is more serious than that?
odevicto

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:38 pm   

i had the same problem a couple of days ago, the exact same thing. cod liver oil cleared it right up. you can buy it anywhere, in the vitamin section of wal-mart or kroger is where mine came from. it comes in gel capsules and you put the gel from the capsule and rub it on the turtles affected eye, and let it dry. i think you do it once or twice a day for 3-5 days.

if you want more information you can look at my topic a few lines below,"swollen eyes....still" my dad and i figured out what caused it. i use tap, or chlorinated water in my tank. and riht after cleaning when i fill it up, i put a dechlorinator in it. it works, but i dont let it circulate long enough, which is very important. so if you use chlorinated water, that could be the problem.
blaydes

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:44 pm   

alright, ill definately check that out, thanks! but how come out of both my turtles, only 1 out of 4 eyes is affected by the water?
odevicto

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:23 pm   

hm.. i really dont know , im not a real expert, you might have to wait for someone else to answer that question. but how long have you had them?
blaydes

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:59 pm   

alright, thanks for your help though...i've had mine for about 7 or 8 months, but i just rescued leonardo, the one with the bad eye, from my friend about 3 weeks ago.
odevicto

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:03 pm   

you're welcome, i dont know, but it could be that your friend had too much chlorine in the water, but there is probably other things that could have caused it. i hope the turtle's eye gets better.good luck!
blaydes

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:36 pm   

It seems to me that if only one of the turt's eyes is swollen it's probably due to a direct injury to the eye. If it were water quality or a sign of illness, both eyes would be swollen. Call your vet in the morning and see what you can put on it to prevent infection.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Return to General Care Discussion