General Care Discussion :: Snails or other fish in the tank

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:58 pm   Snails or other fish in the tank

I bought a snail to put into the tank with my turtle to help keep things clean. I dont see why this would be a problem just want to make sure it is ok. It is a baby RES just got him. I just wanted somehting to help keep the tank clean. I just dont want the turlt eto attack him or somehting. And is there anything you can put in the tank with a turtle like a catfish or somehting just curious. t
joem1481

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:12 pm   

I keep rosy red minnows in the tank for cleaning. Sometimes they get eaten but that's ok. I've tried snails and crayfish, both were eaten by the turts. Since he's a baby, if it's a large snail he'll probably leave it alone for now. Don't get to attached to it tho because it will eventually become lunch.

Basically, whatever you put in the tank is a potential meal for your turt.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:25 pm   

My turtle is just a baby and I have the following in his tank

-Ghost Shrimp (he will eat those)
-Guppies (won't eat them, they just gave birth to some babies)
-three small snails (he ate one of the little slow ones)
-One large Apple snail (he sits on it like it's a rock)

I suggest some of the above, though with the Apple Snail I still worry with it because when it wants to come down from wherever it is, it just sucks itself in and falls down, and I don't really like that, but he does a wonderful job cleaning! But all of the ones above do a great job cleaning, but so far my turtle only likes the ghost shrimp but he's not going through them like there is no tomorrow, he gets to one about once a week.
She is mine and I shall call her Michelangelo!
daredevilgirl013

Return to General Care Discussion