General Care Discussion :: Feeding too little?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:27 am   Feeding too little?

So I've cut my girls down to feeding pellets 2x a week as per the vet's instructions. That's been since last summer. I just noticed while taking pics yesterday that they look a little thin around the jawline. Are the jaw bones supposed to be visible or are they thinning out too much? They still have quite a bit of pudge in their bottoms so I wasn't sure. I couldn't get a good closeup pic of it either :(
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:55 pm   

I still feed my RES everyday, only half of the usual amount. Have you been weighing them? 2X does seem little, but maybe since they have a much bigger tank you want to offer more (or more veggies) since they are likely getting more exercise.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:39 pm   

They get anacharis or veggies every day, enough to feed a small army. Their last weight was 13oz because they're just too big for my gram scale. They were cut down because of pyramiding although it was slight. The vet actually told me to go down to once a week but I just won't.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Return to General Care Discussion