General Care Discussion :: 2 new Sliders

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:10 am   2 new Sliders

I have had my slider since early 2005. Aqua is quite friendly with me.. when she's basking she doesn't mind me sitting next to her..but when someone else does she quicly runs into the water.. i love her/him (donno what it is, although i think it's a male since he has long sharp front claws and the bottom of his shell seems to be slightly inward.) Aqua eats a lot! I feed it pallets and once in a while baby shrimp.. but now, after researching a little i am going to feed it some greens aswell..
The other day, my neighbor decided to give away his tuttles so i gladly took them in ..should i be worried that they might bring any deseases to Aqua? Anyway, they got their tuttles about 1-3 months after i got mine..but Aqua is much larger than my the my new two little ones. When its feeding time ... since Aqua is a cow and loves to eat , im afraid that she will starve the others to death... that's why i make sure to supervise that they all eat equal portions. Is it ok for them to be constantly trying to swim into the walls of the aquarium? (specially Aqua)
nicole_cc

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:15 am   

yea, they're just begging for food, dont give in though, RES are constantly hungry, only feed them the times you feed them, if you want to stop this, get a stock tank or cover the aquarium walls, but its not going to hurt them at all. :D
Elliott
ellman605

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:07 pm   

Hi Nicole. It is usually recommended that whenever you get new turtles, you should have them quarantined for about 90 days before introducing them to your already settled turtles. This is a safety precaution. Unless you're sure that the turtles are healthy (A Herp Vet Visit), it is recommended. Secondly, since you mention that the two new turtles are a lot smaller, it is also best to provide another setup for them. At times, there will be signs of aggression despite how big the enclosure is because of the size different in this case. You can try slowly introducing them but that might not help. Some have tried switching the roles around by placing the new comer(s) into the tank like it was theirs to begin with and then putting their other turtles in. As for Aqua eating habits, all turtles are "opportunistic" and won't stop eating if he/she is being offered with food unless their sick in one way or another. It's your job to be responsible and not overfeed them by balancing their diet. Since you mention a noticeable size difference in all three of them, I recommend you feed them separately. Aqua will most likely be choking down all the things you are offering for all three of them, leaving the two new smaller turtles helpless and hungry. It is also normal when turtles are hitting, crawling, climbing, and swimming up against the glass. Usually when their owners are there, it's a sign of begging, happy to see you, and simply just playing. Other times, they could just be curious about their surroundings. If you can't afford another set-up, it is best to give them up to another responsible owner.

Question:

What is your setup?
BROOKLYN

Return to General Care Discussion