General Care Discussion :: Do all females lay eggs?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:24 pm   Do all females lay eggs?

Reading through the site some more and I havn't seen this covered;
If you have just a female with no male around will the female still lay eggs? Didn't see any post to this nature, or covered in any area other then for setup if one has female to have area to lay eggs. So was just curious.
1 RES (baby) Tortuga
I am Tortuga's slave :)
Az^FolkSinger

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:25 pm   

Yes a female will lay eggs.. Just like a chicken they all lay eggs, just not all of them are fertilized. I'm sure there are a few posts regarding this.. :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:01 pm   

ok will do some more reading.... thank you... now i pray for Tortuga to male LOL but won't know for some time
Peace love & light
Carey
1 RES (baby) Tortuga
I am Tortuga's slave :)
Az^FolkSinger

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:23 am   

LOL yeah tell me about the wishing for 2 males. I have one of each.. actually had 2 males and a female. Just what I didn't need. I kept the smaller male and the female and gave the mid-size male to my daughter. I'll cross the egg-laying bridge when I get there.. she's still young.. about 1.5 yrs old. :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:29 am   

cam722 wrote:Yes a female will lay eggs.. Just like a chicken they all lay eggs, just not all of them are fertilized. I'm sure there are a few posts regarding this.. :)

Are u serious?? I think I have a girl, when and how often will they lay eggs?
jrd1mra

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:20 am   

They will lay eggs when they reach maturity which is when they are 5 to 7 years old and 6 to 7.5 inches long. This age and size are for wild turtles, and I've heard that captive RES tend to mature sooner than their wild counterparts. There's a website with a lot of info on nesting areas that would be good for you to read up on.

Tortoise Trust
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:53 am   

I shudder to think I've got 4 females :shock:
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:48 am   

LOL, it's almost like havinga "human" daughter and not wanting them to mature because of all the changes that happen. I'm dreading my female turtle maturing too :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Return to General Care Discussion