General Care Discussion :: Do turtles shed thier skin?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:47 pm   Do turtles shed thier skin?

I have a RES I found about 9 months ago. He lives in a 10 gallon tank. It looks like his skin is shedding like a snakes would. Is that normal?
Amanda
AmandaMarie7484

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:50 pm   

Yes it is... what type of setup do you have for you res?
read through this site there is a lot of great info for setting up a great living space for ones res, also go through the forum there is a lot of great info there of questions already asked :)
1 RES (baby) Tortuga
I am Tortuga's slave :)
Az^FolkSinger

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:52 pm   

Thank you. I fill the tank about 1/2 way full and there is a floating rock in there and I have a heat lamp that I always leave on. And a filter
AmandaMarie7484

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:05 pm   

I highly recommend you read in the forum for "Habitat - indoor" all the sticky's that are at top. it will give you all the info that you need to know..
leaving the basking light on 24/7 would not be too good...it is recommended they be on for 12 hrs an off for 12 hrs... also you didn't mention what size of tank. hope this helps
1 RES (baby) Tortuga
Az^FolkSinger

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:10 pm   

ops sorry just relized you did say size of tank... I have a 10 gal but i have mine fill with 8.5 gals of water
1 RES (baby) Tortuga
Az^FolkSinger

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:16 pm   

A heat lamp isn't enough.. a turtle needs to have a light that emits UVB rays so that it will be able to absorb and metabolize Vit D for healthy bone and shell growth. You need to keep the light on only enough to simulate normal daylight hours. Also, do you have a water heater/filter of any sort? You need to maintain a relatively stable water temperature. It's recommended that for a hatchling the water be 78 degrees and the basking area approximately 10 degrees warmer.

As Az^FolkSinger said, it's best to read through the forum and the main website and just absorb all the info contained on them. It can be a bit overwhelming but once you get the habitat setup properly, both you and your turtle will be happier.. :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:46 pm   

Turtles do shed skin as they grow, but they don't do it like snakes do (all in one piece/ big pieces). If the shedding is as dramatic as that, then look at your turtles diet and habitat--amount of feeding, foods being fed, temps, the ammonia level of the water, etc., for starters.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to General Care Discussion