General Care Discussion :: My turtle aint growing!!!

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:15 pm   My turtle aint growing!!!

[size=9]I've had my turtle for probably about 3 months and I haven't noticed any kind of growing. Am I looking for growth too soon or what?I've been thinking it may have something to do with his tank which is only an one gallon tank. Is this too small for him? Does he need a bigger tank in order to grow?[/size]
babynjuicie

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:29 pm   

Growth is not dependent on tank size, other conditions for growth being adequate. But a 1-gallon tank is grossly inadequate and actually cruel, given how much they like to swim, and your turtle needs a bigger tank/container. How big is he? What are you feeding him? Does he have a basking area and correct lighting to bask under? What are the temps of the water and basking area?

A tank that's too small won't allow you to give him the other things he needs for normal growth.

Do some reading on this site about what your turtle needs for proper growth. Then if you have specific questions about what you've read, just post.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:53 pm   

He looks bout the same size when i got him I dont have anything to measure him with I know for a fact that he weighs 9 grams if thats any help to you at all he likes to eat grasshoppers, dried shrimps, lettuce, and carrots and roaches he doesnt really have a basking area because the tank is small but i take him outside everyday for sunlight what exactly type of lighting is correct for him?Recently his filter broke in his tank so he hasnt had any lighting over his temporary tank which is smaller than the 1 gallon tank.If I use filtered water for his tank is that not a good idea?
babynjuicie

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:02 pm   

I strongly suggest that you read the following guides:

feeding list
http://www.redearslider.com/res-feeding%20list.pdf

new owner guide
http://www.redearslider.com/res-guide.pdf

Since he is a hatchling, it is very important that you get the setup correct as soon as possible. First, get a new and large or clean rubbermaid container and a submersible water heater. Next get the basking areas and lights as well as a couple of thermometers.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion