General Care Discussion :: I've just rescued a 1 inch RES.............

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:23 am   I've just rescued a 1 inch RES.............

I've walked past a pet shop this morning and I peeked into the small tank where the keeper keeps RES. There's about 2 dozens of them. 1 to 2 inch in size

To my horror, ALL the 1-2 inch RES are either DEAD or half-dead. But in one corner, I see a 1-incher trying his best to crawl out of the tank; it's still energetic and vibrant. It seems unaffected by any sickness that is in the tank.

I quickly paid for this RES and brought it home.

I've quarantined it in a small plastic container. It seems very healthy and strong. It's always busy scrambling around =)

I will watch it over for another 2 weeks or so to ensure it's healthy before I put it into the main tank to join the other 2 RES. (They are about 1.5inch in size). =)
malloc

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:24 am   

Good for you! Don't forget to take it to a vet to get it checked for parasites. Whatever killed those other turtles, your little rescue probably has it. Getting dewormed will give him a good start in life.

Thanks so much for saving him!
I used to be a reptile expert. Now I'm just an old turtle lover.
reptilegrrl

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:53 am   

Make sure he has warm water and a warm place to bask. How big is this plastic container?
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:09 am   

not sure where you live and what not, but if you need I can give you my 10g tank and some food for it if it helps you. Let me know.
juicedgt02

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:12 am   

Normal quarantine time is 90 days. Some illnesses will not manifest symptoms until weeks later after coming in contact with them. Getting him checked by a vet and keeping him in quarantine will save the health of all your turtles.
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:37 pm   

Congrats on the save. I'd keep him quarantined for longer than two weeks in his own set-up as well, though. Is he eating?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:41 pm   

Im so happy you saved him!! Its a shame how some people keep these little animals to sell them.

I was at the mall recently and I saw the tiniest little slider Ive ever seen in a tank with others. I started thinking of how he probably wont get the correct home. which is heart breaking, considering how long these animals can live. It swam quickly to me when it saw me and I just had to leave that area because it depressed me. He was just so small but unfortunately, I cant afford to keep more than one RES habitat....:(
"See the turtle of enormous girth,
On his shell he holds the Earth,
His thought is slow but always kind;
He holds us all within his mind."
--The Dark Tower
butterfly

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:37 am   

Hi guys,

The 1 incher seems energetic and is always scrambling around. It's pretty timid. Sometimes you just tap lightly on its shell and it will make a mad scramble in the opposite direction.

It doesnt seems to enjoy pellets. I have to feed it with tiny dried shrimps and thin raw fish slices. That's worrying. Because pellets are often the main diet for my other RES.

I tried something foolish today: I left the 1 incher into the main tank with the other 2 inches. Guess what happened? The 2-inches made a mad scramble towards the 1inch and attempts to bite it.

The 1-inch had became the prey!

I quickly took out the 1-incher and put it back to its mini container :shock:

Looks like I have to wait till the 1-incher grow to an appropriate size before it can join the main tank. Else it will become prey...

Any advise what should I do?
malloc

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:38 am   

jenaero wrote:Make sure he has warm water and a warm place to bask. How big is this plastic container?

Erm......it's just a temp plastic container. Imagine the size of a typical lunchbox.. :oops:
malloc

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:56 am   

I'd suggest not putting the new turtle in with the other 2 for awhile mainly due to health reasons. He could be carrying all sorts of diseases. So that temporary container you have should be big enough for him to have all the necessities for at least 90 days to make sure he has a clean bill of health before putting him in with the other turtles. Is your main enclosure big enough for 3 turtles? At their current sizes you'd need a minimum of a 50 gallon tank.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:09 pm   

What pellets are you trying to feed him? I'd get some Reptomin Baby and try them out. Rather than the shrimp and fish slices (sushi?) try earthworms (cut one up since he's small) and baby crickets--vary the diet.

I don't think that tapping on the shell, however lightly, and watching him scramble is doing anything to help him feel secure or get used to his new home. Getting a Rubbermaid storage container or similar container is cheap and would give him a lot more space than he's in now. Then you can concentrate on getting him the other things he needs.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:34 am   

When should I introduce that 1 incher into the main tank?
malloc

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:05 pm   

I think you answered your question in your post above (go up 4 posts from your last one).

It would be good to keep him in his own appropriate set-up for several months, just to make sure he's healthy and allow him to get a little bigger.

And ideally, it would be good to upgrade the tank/container itself before putting all three together. More space, which they'll need, and since the environment is new to all of them, less chance that the smaller one would be seen as being an intruder in their tank.
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to General Care Discussion