General Care Discussion :: Rocks not basking

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:16 pm   Rocks not basking

I just switched my two 5in res to a 125 gal tank from the 50gal they were in before. They've been in there since Friday and I've only seen one of them (Pandora) basking. I tried to make it easily accessible. I used a milk crate turned upside down with slate rock on top and used the zoo med turtle dock as a ramp up to the rocks.

How long can she (Rocks) go without basking? They're both just over a year old (I know they're big for their age) and their shells are in great condition. I just want to keep it that way.

I've tried showing her how to use it. They had the zoo med dock in their other tank so I thought it would help if they had something that they were familiar with. She's not shy at all so I picked her up, placed her at the bottom of the dock and she followed my finger up to the bigger platform but she wouldn't stay there. I saw her trying to get up from the other end (impossible). Is having only one side accessible ok? Is she just being picky? How long until I should worry?
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:11 pm   

I wouldn't worry about it yet. It's only been a couple of days. It could take them longer to get used to their new environment. The first time I move our RES to a new tank it took her several days to get used to it before she felt comfortable basking. When I moved her to her new 90gallon with an above tank basking area she got up their right away.
Spookster

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:58 pm   

My turtles took some time to bask in their new setup. Mine took a bit of time with their new basking area even though it was in their old tank. I bet that within a few days they'll be up there basking with no problem. :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:18 am   

I was just going to ask the same question.. I have 3 RES and one always takes up the space on top of the floating log and pushes anyone else off. So we got a 2nd deck for basking but they have not showed any interest yet.... im sitting here tapping my fingers waiting.... :shock:
Carina
Working Mommy of 3
Califmommy9

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:03 am   

Califmommy9 wrote:I was just going to ask the same question.. I have 3 RES and one always takes up the space on top of the floating log and pushes anyone else off. So we got a 2nd deck for basking but they have not showed any interest yet.... im sitting here tapping my fingers waiting.... :shock:

Is the second basking area equipped with the necessary basking lights as well? If the basking temp isn't just right, they will not be tempted to bask. A heat light is necessary as well as a UVB light. A basking temp of 88-90 is suggested.

If this has been done for the second basking area then it may just take time for them to get used to it. :)
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:06 pm   

Any basking yet?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:37 pm   

not that I've seen. They're in the basement so I'm not there all the time but I can peek down from the kitchen without being seen and I haven't seen her up there yet. I figured she'd see Pandora up there and catch on. How long can this go on before I should worry?

I should add that I put the water temp down a few degrees to try and give her more of a reason to warm up.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:34 pm   

It took about 2 weeks before my turtles were comfortable in a larger tank and basking. They could go for a long time without basking but obviously we all like to see them bask away.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:24 pm   

ok. I'll give it another week before I freak out :lol:
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:58 pm   

If thery're healthy, I wouldn't worry yet. Maybe she doesn't like those milk crates.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:00 pm   

Is their new tank on the floor as opposed to on a table/stand? I know mine freaked when they saw me standing over them when they were on the floor.. they just wouldn't bask.. until they got the much larger tank and were off the floor.
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:27 pm   

Lordy. I was afraid that might be the case. Yes, they're on the floor. They were jittery the first few days when I'd come in the room but now I just go in and sit with them for a bit and they seem better. They know it's me and not some enormous monster at least.

I just don't get it because Rocks has always been the braver of the two. I'll just give them more time because there's no way that tank is coming off the floor.
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:11 pm   

When I feed my turts out of the tank, the container is on the floor and they really don't 'freak out' if I stand over them.

I'd recommend covering some of the sides or dimming the lights around them to offer a less distracting new environment.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:30 pm   

The only light on in the room is theirs. The one time I had to put them on the floor while changing the old tank, they freaked. I guess I should have seen it coming..lol.
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:39 pm   

I agree with putting something around the sides of the tank, at least where the basking area is. It would give a sense of security, which she may want before she basks.
marisa
Retired Mod

Next

Return to General Care Discussion