General Care Discussion :: I'm that guy.... :(

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:32 am   I'm that guy.... :(

For months before I bought Leo I researched how to take care of him.
I made sure I had everything I needed.
I knew exactly what to do.
I ignored everyone's warnings (friends and family).
Finally I got Leo and I've had him for about 5 months now and everything is going OK.

The problem is, it is soooo hard to keep up his tank and diet. Everyone said it is hard to take care of them but I didn't think it could be that bad. The worst part is that I'm in college so I have to move him back and forth when I come home for break!

I feel horrible because I might have denied him a better home, but instead he is constantly moving, and I can't get him a tank the size that he needs. On top of all of this, I spent at least $400 on him now so I'm not going to give him away.

*sigh* I guess I'll just have to work through it for 2 and a half more years until I graduate and he can settle in.

Sorry for the long post, I just had to vent my frustration :(
1.0.0 RES - Leonardo - 4.75"
Brianthedog18

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:46 am   

how long do you go for when you have to move him? you can keep feeder fish and water planrt in there.
Elliott
ellman605

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:41 am   

I'm assuming you're moving him back and forth because they shut down the hydro at the dorms on holidays? How big is he and what size is the tank?
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:55 am   

Well, this time I am home for a month and they make us unplug everything. Most of the time though we leave for a week so I guess that I could leave him with some fish and plants (during the short breaks we have to unplug everything except fish tanks).

Leo is about 4.5 inches and he's in a 20 gallon tank :( But I don't have any room for a bigger one. He seems healthy, but I know it should be bigger.
Brianthedog18

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:06 pm   

I know how you feel. I have two 5in res in a 50 gal right now. They've been in it since they were hatchlings and I was worried about space but I knew they'd be fine until we moved. They'll be going into a 125 gal sometime next week.

As far as i'm concerned, if your turt has all the other essentials, space is secondary. I mean, as long as he's got room to swim around, is fed properly and has the right heat/lighting there's really not much else you can do right now. You don't want him in a 20gal when he's 6 or 7 inches tho. You will have to start thinking about what you're going to do later on.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:33 am   

Yeah, thats true. I mean, even though it is small for the recommended size, he is properly cared for and he does have room to move around.

If everything goes well, next year I will have a much bigger room on campus and possibly have room for a bigger tank because he will have definately outgrown this one by then.

I will find a way!
Brianthedog18

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:21 pm   

Sorry about the late post. Do you have him in a glass tank or rubbermaid tub? I'm also a college student and i've had to move Prometheus from the western end of illinois (where school is) to my home in Mid-Michigan. He's made the trip with flying colors so far so I'm not that concerned with him. I have a 50 gallon tub for him and I understand what you're going through. It was hard to find a space for him and I've gotten water all over the room on more than one occasion.
alehasfriends

Return to General Care Discussion