General Care Discussion :: RES making strange chirping noise

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:32 pm   RES making strange chirping noise

Just this morning I noticed one of my female res occasionally making a weird chirping noise that I've never heard before (I've had her for over a year now). Could this be the first signs of RI? She is eating and basking just like always (she's never been one to bask a lot). Tank temp is 77. Eyes look clear. Do healthy turtles ever make noise? If it might be an URI, what is the treatment.
Wolverine--female res
Banana--female res
lorib

Post Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:38 pm   

It's not know to be a symptom of anything... a few members have had their turtles make chirping and croaking noises.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:25 pm   

I just thought it strange that in the 15 months I've had them I've never heard it before, and now it's been several times in one day. I'm going to keep a close eye on her anyway, I'm paranoid. Thanks for your reply.
Wolverine--female res
Banana--female res
lorib

Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:01 am   

thats cool though. having chirping turtles. i wish i had those. but hopefully they dont get carried away

id keep check on them too
pets: 1 res

male: bought around a cold day in march 2008. stubborn yet also helpful
(RIP) Churro: ill miss you... (5 yrs. old)

"be strong, be brave, and livestrong"-my dad
blackforces get you

Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:57 am   

I'd say its a RI. I have had experience with two RI terrapins and they both began croaking and chirping. Best head to the vet.
Red eared sliders are for life, not just the weekends.

The proud father of:
12 Red Eared Sliders:
4 adult females
4 adult males
2 young females
2 young males
aal

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:27 am   

My turtle has been making noises too. Kind of like a whimping puppy or something. Only sometimes though like when he's begging and desperately trying to get our attention. I have been keeping a really close eye on him and nothing else at all points to RI. It's been a long while now, I'm starting to believe he just makes noises. Weird huh?
1 RES - Tomi (75 gal)
1 Leopard Gecko - Leia (20 gal)
2 Fancy goldfish, 1 bn pleco (40 gal breeder)
https://www.facebook.com/varboleda6
vear

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:27 pm   

I have a few turtles at the rescue that chirp when they get excited, lol. They just inhale or exhale quick and their nasal cavity is shaped in a way that makes them whistle.
Turtle_Man_Marc

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:26 pm   

Turtle_Man_Marc wrote:I have a few turtles at the rescue that chirp when they get excited, lol. They just inhale or exhale quick and their nasal cavity is shaped in a way that makes them whistle.

yay, talking turtles! lol. It's kind of cool b/c even if I'm not looking at him, I can hear that he wants attention. Silly turtle.
1 RES - Tomi (75 gal)
1 Leopard Gecko - Leia (20 gal)
2 Fancy goldfish, 1 bn pleco (40 gal breeder)
https://www.facebook.com/varboleda6
vear

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:51 pm   

rolo would make a random croaking noise every once in a while, but yeah there was never any other sign of RI and she did it like once maybe a month
~amy

Rolo- Female RES 3-4 years ~ lives away from home now :(

Jim- Fiance
Dein211

Post Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:01 pm   Re: RES making strange chirping noise

over the last few days i have noticed my male res has started makeing a weird chirping noise,just wondereing if this is normal :mrgreen:
vanessa 1

Post Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:32 pm   Re: RES making strange chirping noise

Does he have any other symptoms? If not, does he tend to do it at any particular time (when he breaks the water surface to come up for air, for example) or any particular place in the tank?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:30 pm   Re: RES making strange chirping noise

i thought my turtles were making squeeky noises but i finally figured it out, it's their nails scratching againsed the glass!.. that might be whats happening with ur turtle.
a and c

Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:21 pm   Re: RES making strange chirping noise

I've had my RES for a little over a year now. Her name is Murdle, Murdle the Turtle lol. Anyways, one day when I was replacing her water and it was getting low in her tank she started chirping at me when I walked by. This grabbed my attention of course, and her being the smart little turtle she is apparently took notice. Now she chirps at me a few times a week when she wants attention or wants somthing to grub on. I wouldn't worry about chirping if there is no signs of sickness. Mine does it to grab my attention, but I assume they would also do it when they get excited, scared, or lonley.
schaferd

Post Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:11 pm   Re: RES making strange chirping noise

Yep both my turtles chirp and have almost from the beginning, when mine are excited they chirp alot, like when they see the Red Leaf coming. I don't think it's a health issue at all if so mine have been sick for three years.
muck

Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:21 am   Re: RES making strange chirping noise

my whole family and our friends think I'm nut's but I hear my res make croaky noises all the time. I don't think she's sick and I feed her a tiny bit every time I hear her do this. (the noise she makes is faint and I don't have a filter to mask it) she's small too only about 1 and 3/4 inches @ length of her shell.
stephaniemebc

Next

Return to General Care Discussion