General Care Discussion :: Twitching and flinching

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:48 pm   Twitching and flinching

I noticed for a while that my turtle twitches a lot while it's basking. I don't understand why he or she is making these random spasms when there is clearly nothing provoking it. Anyone can shed some light?
Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life.
knite

Post Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:40 pm   

Mine do that too. Could be an itch, could be he's just getting comfy. Either way, nothing to worry about :-)
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:48 am   

Mines does this also. He does it with his head and sometimes with a back leg. I always thought that he twitched because a drop from the filter water fall fell on him.
"See the turtle of enormous girth,
On his shell he holds the Earth,
His thought is slow but always kind;
He holds us all within his mind."
--The Dark Tower
butterfly

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:48 am   

Thanks for the replies. :D And I thought the temperature was too high/low...
Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life.
knite

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:55 am   

mine does that also, nothing i've been concerned about because they only do it very shortly, then they stop, mine loves to do like a dog, and spin around to find the right part of the rock.
Elliott
ellman605

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:27 pm   

My RES and painteds twitch after they've been basking for a while. It usually means they've gotten warm enough, with the result being that they will fairly soon go back into the water to thermoregulate (cool off).
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:25 am   

its called thermo-regulation. the same way they fan their paws to gain surface area to collect more light/heat, they twich and "flap" their paws to release heat. they usually do this right before they dive back into the water, at least that's what Honu used to do.
From the homegrowers soul, straight to his lungs. That's the method that I myself find fun. Start from seed and then you'll see, just how fun homegrowing can be.
da sAUCE!

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:25 am   

oh wow i didnt even read your post marisa. kudos.
From the homegrowers soul, straight to his lungs. That's the method that I myself find fun. Start from seed and then you'll see, just how fun homegrowing can be.
da sAUCE!

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:17 pm   

Well, I've never heard of turtles intentionally flapping paws to trap and release heat. I think it's more an involuntary response to the fact that they're becoming too warm and are in need of hydration/cooling off.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to General Care Discussion