General Care Discussion :: Turtle Travel for the holidays

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:48 am   Turtle Travel for the holidays

I'm going to my parents' home for Thanksgiving this week, and I am unsure of what to do with my turtle. I've read that turtles over a year old don't need fed everyday, so I was wondering if it would be better to leave my turtle in his 25 gallon tank for a day or two without food, but with his normal lighting and surroundings, or take him to my parents' house and put him in a 5 gallon tank that my Mom found and set up? He's only a little guy with a shell length of an inch to 2 inches, but he is well over a year old. I'd like to take him with me, so I can watch after him and feed him, but I feel like the 5 gallon tank could be small for him since he's gotten used to his 25 gallon tank. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.
AlienShakespeare

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:29 pm   

You're only going to be gone for a day or two? If you've got a good set-up for your turtle, he should be fine during the time you've gone. Traveling and new surroundings would be stressful for your turt, so I think he would be happier in surroundings he knows. Plus, since it's getting colder where you are, I wouldn't want to risk him getting exposed to cold air, even briefly.

Before you go, you could feed him a little extra. Some people put feeder fish in the tank,and you could do this if you want. It would be good to leave an aquatic plant like anachris in the tank for him to nibble on as well as some pieces of cuttlebone.

Put your lights on timers if you haven't done so already. Check your other equipment to make sure everything's working OK. Have a nice holiday. :)
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:36 pm   

IDEA! I bought an automatic fish feeder from wal-mart for 8 bucks, feeds twice a day, if you want, you can go run out and grab one.
Elliott
ellman605

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:40 pm   

Yes, some people have used them as well. For a longer trip, as long as it accurately can dispense pellets and not flakes, it could be useful. For a day or two, though, to me it doesn't seem necessary.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:26 am   

Thanks for the advise everyone. I do have a nice setup for my turtle, so he should be happy while I'm gone. I put in some new plants yesterday that he seems to enjoy, and he does have a feeder fish in there if he gets hungry enough. He ate one of the two fish that I put in there originally, but he hasn't had all that much interest in this one recently. What is this cuttlebone that you refer to? I haven't heard of before. I'm new to the turtle scene. I just rescued my little guy about 3 weeks ago from a neglectful owner.
The automatic feeder sounds fascinating. Although I don't have enough time to pick it up before I leave this week, I'm definitely going to look into it for Christmas time.
AlienShakespeare

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:51 pm   

Does anyone know where I can get timers for my lights? How do they work?
Jen182

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:52 pm   

check the bird section in any pet store, just peel off the hard backing when you stick it in there.
Elliott
ellman605

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:08 pm   

You can get a timer from most any department store or hardware store.. like Home Depot. You just set the time on it for when you want it to turn on and off.. it will come with instructions :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:08 pm   

Jen182 wrote:Does anyone know where I can get timers for my lights? How do they work?

Radio shack is where we got ours. Here's a link to what one looks like so you'll know when you go hunting for one.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... age=search
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:34 pm   

Thanks! I was just looking online and the cheapest one I saw (that I could get quickly before going out of town) was $30. I'll be making a trip to radioshack today! :)
Jen182

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:05 pm   

You can also get them cheaply at Walmart (about $5.00), which is about what Home Depot sells them for.
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:43 pm   

I put a link in the Online deals section for a surge protector with multiple outlets that has a timer. Its pretty good if you have more than one devices that need the timer.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:53 pm   

Wish I had seen that sooner. lol. I don't have time to go back out and the only one I found only has one outlet. Will she be okay without her UVB lamp for two days?
Jen182

Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:02 pm   

Two days shouldn't be a problem. My painteds had to go a few weeks without a UVB light (the light I ordered was out of stock and it took that long before I received it), and they didn't have a problem. They're quite healthy, though, and if your turtle is as well, he'll be fine for two days.
marisa
Retired Mod

Return to General Care Discussion