General Care Discussion :: A shot to prevent RI?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:46 pm   A shot to prevent RI?

I was wondering if there is a shot that can be given to a turtle to prevent RI. Ive read too many horror stories about this condition. Im scared for my turtle so it would be great if the vet can do something to prevent it.
"See the turtle of enormous girth,
On his shell he holds the Earth,
His thought is slow but always kind;
He holds us all within his mind."
--The Dark Tower
butterfly

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:05 pm   

I've never heard of such a thing. When a turt has RI, the vet will administer a series of antibiotic injections to treat it. Think of the last time you had tonsilitis or something similar. The doc gave you antibiotics to treat it. We don't take them to prevent it tho.

The best thing you can do to prevent ANY illness or injury for your turt is to keep the right temps and keep them constant, vary the diet and make sure the tank is large enough for swimming so he gets exercise. keep the tank away from any windows or air conditioning vents and make it escape-proof and keep any other pets (cats for example) away from the tank.

One more thing...don't worry so much :-) We were all new at this at some point and I know I was paranoid about illness and such but as long as you know you're giving him the best care you possibly can, you'll both be fine!
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:59 pm   

Thank you so much for your advice. Thankfully Im doing everything you mentioned on your post :)
"See the turtle of enormous girth,
On his shell he holds the Earth,
His thought is slow but always kind;
He holds us all within his mind."
--The Dark Tower
butterfly

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:54 pm   Give few antibiotic dose

Beside best of care with food habits and proper lightings. what I do is give antibiotic's. I add 10 ml of ciploxine eye & ear drops in my 80 galon tank every six months for 5 days ( I do change water everyday)
siparikh

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:28 pm   

I would avoid using any unnecessary antibiotics unless it was prescribed to treat a specific infection (plus you don't want your turts to develop resistance to any drugs).

I would be more concerned about the water quality in India... are you able to get any water filtration for your setup? If so, you may also need water conditioners.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:34 pm   

ewww, changing every day, i couldnt see doing that, way to much work, get a filter...

E.T
Elliott
ellman605

Return to General Care Discussion