General Care Discussion :: When I clean the tank....

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:05 pm   When I clean the tank....

Does anyone have any suggestions from experience of the best place to put my RES when I clean her tank? I want to make it as stressless as possible for her.

I was thinking of putting her in a container in a place where she cant see all the activity around her tank. Should I put water in the container or keep her dry? I dont know what she would be more comfortable with.

Im going to use a container like the one I feed her in because she does not mind being taken out of her tank for feeding everyday and she actually perfers small containers. I use a microwave bowl a few inches bigger than her only because when I would tried to feed her in a big sterilite container she wouldnt eat and would struggle to be removed from it.

Since cleaning takes some time though, I dont want her to associate being taken out of her tank and something negative so all suggestions are welcome.
"See the turtle of enormous girth,
On his shell he holds the Earth,
His thought is slow but always kind;
He holds us all within his mind."
--The Dark Tower
butterfly

Post Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:51 pm   

While I clean tanks, I let them roam around in the turtle-safe zone, which is a fenced area in my basement covered with grass carpetting. I let them stretch out their legs and run around while I clean the tanks. I always have someone keep supervision on them.

If the tank you are cleaning won't take longer than 30 minutes, it would be okay for a turtle to be feeding while you are cleaning. I do when I do partial water changes. Also, I wait for them to waste in the feeing container before I place them back, which can take some time for some turtles.

27 Turtles. 6 Tortoises.
JessicaTS

Post Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:59 pm   

Thankyou for your reply. Well today is Sunday and it was tank cleaning day. For some reason Ive realized that I cant even let the tank go for two weeks without completely draining it and cleaning it, I have to do it weekly.

Everything went pretty well. I put her away from the commotion in her familiar container and she didnt get upset. It took me awhile to clean the tank though because I put a background and bottom picture on the tank. I also had to tweek the electrical lay out but I put everything back just as it was before I took her out. I didnt rearrange anything. When I put her back in she seemed a little shy, I guess its the background pictures. I hope she gets used to them soon. I hate to stress her, because it just makes me worry. I hope she knows shes still in her same tank.
"See the turtle of enormous girth,
On his shell he holds the Earth,
His thought is slow but always kind;
He holds us all within his mind."
--The Dark Tower
butterfly

Return to General Care Discussion