General Care Discussion :: Storm Suggestion

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:54 pm   Storm Suggestion

Okay as everyone already knows, we in Florida are going to get slammed by this hurricane.

My power runs underground so I usually dont have power ottages but after the storm, there is going to be a cold front moving through where the temp over here is going to get to the 50s. If I have no power, that means that the lights and the water warmer will not function. What is the best thing I can do for my turtle then? Take her out of the tank and keep her dry?

Hopefully Ill be able to read the replies tomorrow.
"See the turtle of enormous girth,
On his shell he holds the Earth,
His thought is slow but always kind;
He holds us all within his mind."
--The Dark Tower
butterfly

Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:21 pm   

Assuming you'll have running water, you could add warm water to the tank whenever the water temp drops.

If the outside temp is in the 50s, and you've got all doors and windows closed, even if your heat isn't working the room temp shouldn't go below 70 so the water temp won't be much lower. I know this because it's in the 40's here and my landlord hasn't turned the heat on yet, and I'm not using the water heater for the turts yet.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:47 pm   

But if they have an electric hotwater heater, they won't have hot water either.
Dylan ~17~, Brianna~14~ Ethan ~10~ Ava ~4~
flutterby

Post Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:58 pm   

I just thought of that :oops: It's past my bedtime so that's my excuse :wink:
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:14 am   

run your car for about 10 min put a pot of water on the valve cover/exhause manifold and that will heat the water. make sure its not to hot and then you can cycle water to heep him warm....
my turtle eats better than me and my cat.
evilsr20degg

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:37 pm   

i hereby dub you TurtleTalk "MacGyver"
From the homegrowers soul, straight to his lungs. That's the method that I myself find fun. Start from seed and then you'll see, just how fun homegrowing can be.
da sAUCE!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:59 pm   

da sAUCE! wrote:i hereby dub you TurtleTalk "MacGyver"

That made me laugh forever!
But that is a good idea. I was thinking of warming water too, but not quite like that . . . I was thinking fire and wait for it to cool to the right temp.
tini

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:21 pm   

For all of the readers I know that Miami is currently without power cus my brother is there. But he did say that it did not get as cold as predicted.

As for future advise - Get a battery operated heater. they are made for fish tanks for when the power goes out. I have one and it works great.

Also I found this "The first thing to do when it comes to heat in an aquarium is to quickly take steps to retain it! Heat rises, and newspaper has amazing insulation properties. By covering the top and wrapping the outside of the tank with thick layers of newspaper, and blocking off any hood vents, which can be done by stuffing newspaper in the holes or taping over them, you can prevent heat from rising and escaping from the aquarium. If newspaper is not available you can use towels or a blanket. In all likelihood you won't be running the aquarium lights, but if you have ample power to do so, DO NOT cover the light hood!! If you see a noticable loss of heat with the lights running, just insulate the outside of the tank with newspaper, and depending on how many hood vents you have, if necessary block off a few of them to help trap the rising heat"
"I will love him and hug him and pet him and squeeze him and I will call him George." Hugo the Abominable Snowman
2 cats - Cali , Maia
dog - Ubu
turtle - Froot loops
hamster - Senior
2 fish tanks
2 gliders - Luka, Jade
curiousmonkey

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:00 pm   

Great idea, curiousmonkey. I'll have to remember that come winter if we get any kind of snowstorms (which I'm praying we do... I know I'm crazy but I love snow!). :D
~~~Sonja~~~
sonyj

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:14 am   

Yeh I love the snow too, used to live in Nashville
but now Tampa, Fl. I just get Hurricanes now. lol
curiousmonkey

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:05 am   

I wonder how well a computer back-up battery will work for a turtle tank????:D, any thoughts ??
STRAYKINGFISHER

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:39 pm   

All of you had really great suggestions, thank you. Fortunately I didnt have to use any because the power didnt go out in my section. Lucky me because its out in almost 90 percent of the city. We got slammed but everything is fine around my house. My turtle didnt even notice..:)
"See the turtle of enormous girth,
On his shell he holds the Earth,
His thought is slow but always kind;
He holds us all within his mind."
--The Dark Tower
butterfly

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:58 pm   

[quote="STRAYKINGFISHER"]I wonder how well a computer back-up battery will work for a turtle tank????:D, any thoughts ??[/quote]

I don't know about all battery back ups but mine only has power for 5 min. just enough to shut everything down and not fry my computer.
"I will love him and hug him and pet him and squeeze him and I will call him George." Hugo the Abominable Snowman
2 cats - Cali , Maia
dog - Ubu
turtle - Froot loops
hamster - Senior
2 fish tanks
2 gliders - Luka, Jade
curiousmonkey

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:27 pm   

Glad you weathered the storm safely butterfly :)
Carol
cam722
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:13 am   

curiousmonkey wrote:
STRAYKINGFISHER wrote:I wonder how well a computer back-up battery will work for a turtle tank????:D, any thoughts ??

I don't know about all battery back ups but mine only has power for 5 min. just enough to shut everything down and not fry my computer.

Just as well, I don't have one, I was just wondering. :D
STRAYKINGFISHER

Next

Return to General Care Discussion