General Care Discussion :: Sick?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:05 pm   Sick?

Hello all.
I am new to this site, but not a new turtle owner. I have had my one Slider, Hanible, for over 3 years now. About 6 months ago he seemed to not have enough room in his 20 gallon tank, he was little over 7 inches, so I set up a 100 gallon tank in my outside Laurndry room. And now he is 8" and very happy. Once we moved him to this outside tank, I went and got two new turtles to keep in the 20 gallon tank. One turtle died within days, I could tell it was sick a couple of days after I got it. But the other one was fine. It ate the shrimp pellets and the carrots I gave it. Now he, Allawishis, won't eat anything (almost 2 weeks now), sleeps all the time on his log, and when he does get in the water, whether I put him there or on his own, he swims lop-sided. I just noticed the lop-sidedness today, and became very worried. Please HELP ME!!!! Hanible never did anything like this.
Thank you
Boogerbutt02

Post Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:59 pm   

Respiratory infection. Lop-sided gave it all.
Visit your vet immediently, this is a very serious sitaution. Is he wheezing at all? mucus, drippy nose, "yawning" alot?

27 Turtles. 6 Tortoises.
JessicaTS

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:34 am   

Thanks

There is no wheezing, or mucus, or drippy nose, or "yawning"?
Boogerbutt02

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:06 pm   

The lopsided swimming means fluid is in the lung, and can turn to pneumonia fairly quickly if your turtle doesn't receive medical attention. Get him to a herp vet ASAP.

In the meantime, keep him warmer than usual (water about 81-82F and basking area 10 degrees higher) and out of any drafts. But take him to a vet. Let us know how he's doing.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:27 pm   

Hello,
Thank you for the advice. I upped the water tempture, and I saw him eat a couple of shrimp pellets this afternoon, and he didn't seem to be swimming like he was yesterday, and that was encouraging. I am going to watch him closely the next couple of days. And give his tank an extra good cleaning.
Thanks again
Boogerbutt02

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:58 am   

I'd still take him to a vet to be sure. The added warmth is most likely helping him, but may not knock out any infection entirely.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:08 pm   

Just wanted to update you all. Allawishis is swimming and eating agian...
Boogerbutt02

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:03 pm   

Great :)
Basking?

27 Turtles. 6 Tortoises.
JessicaTS

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:52 pm   

Yes, but he is swimming more and more... Upping the water temp and basking temp, helped alot..
Thanks alot for the advise.
Boogerbutt02

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:40 pm   

Its amazing what 2 degrees can do.

27 Turtles. 6 Tortoises.
JessicaTS

Return to General Care Discussion