General Care Discussion :: UBV filtered by water

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:13 am   UBV filtered by water

How much UVB is filtered out by water? The way my tank is set up, ,I can't have the UVB over the basking area, so I put the turts fav. plant close to the surface of the water, and have the UVB above that. He's usually between 0-2 inches in the water, under his uvb.

Question is-- is he getting enough UVB, or do I have to rig it over the basking area
bradhart

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:24 am   

I think it was somewhere over 80-90+%. Considering most lamps can only produce 3-10%, its almost pointless unless it's over the basking area.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:32 pm   

UVB rays penetrate water to a certain extent, and it depends on how deep in the water a turtle is swimming. The sun is much, much stronger than any UVB light, and I think I remember reading that its rays penetrate the upper few inches of water (loosing strength with depth). But most UVB lights give off so little UVB rays in comparison to the sun that ideally they should be as close to a basking turtle as possible (this is are regular UVB lights, not the MVBs).
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:32 pm   

I remembered studing about that in Science this year, but I don't remember what the % was.
TexasJagsFan

Return to General Care Discussion